PDA

View Full Version : Eider Duck Drake

Andreas Liedmann
01-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Hi folks ... just a simple walking Eider Duck on the beach of Helgoland , more a side product of mine as i mwas normally on the beach for the Grey Seals

Hope you like it

Canon EOS R 3
EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
HH

Full frame

F 7,1 ; Iso 2000 ; 1/2500 sec

Processed vwith DPP 4 and PSCC 2023 , a bit of gardening in FG

Thanks for looking and commneting to my previous postings

Cheer Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
01-04-2023, 03:42 PM
I was going to post an Eider a few moments before I saw this one! Yours is a better pose, I like the walking and the scattered snow dust, colours look good details god also. Perhaps the blacks in the head could be teased out to show some detail - I suspect you would have thought of that? A minor point really - one other thing maybe a little Texture on the bill to enhance the detail?? I know you don't like Clarity and Texture but it can be useful.

Andreas Liedmann
01-05-2023, 01:27 AM
Thanks Jon , for your comment ... no need to hold back your Eider :S3:
The " snow " is sand ... and i could have extracted more detail from the head but i went the stronger route on the dark tones in the subject .
To me their is enough definition in the bill , if you think it is needed than the tools you are preferring are not working for me . As both are amplifying textures that are not there in smooth surface of a " birds bill " IMHO. If there is grain in that area one will only amplify the grain ....
So as consequence i would try to add a touch of USM if needed

Thanks again Jon and cheers Andreas

Colin Driscoll
01-05-2023, 03:58 AM
Lovely walking pose and soft environment.
The fiddly bits i would have addressed would be to remove the bit of sand on the head, dodged the eye reflection a bit and darkened the end of the beak to bring it out a bit more from the BG.
Nice shot!

Chris van Rooyen
01-05-2023, 01:54 PM
Simple but effective. Like the movement of the leg and the sand spray, makes it come alive. No nits technically from my side

Dorian Anderson
01-05-2023, 08:44 PM
He looks funny out of water! Flying sand is nice, and you got some great eye contact. I hear Jon's comment about lifting the black on the head, but this is exactly how this bird appears in the wild. It's a push pull between getting the most from the photo versus showing the bird as it appears in the field. It's all personal preference. I would be tempted to clone out the hella bright white spot on head/crown. All the tech look great, as usual.

Andreas Liedmann
01-06-2023, 01:57 PM
Thanks folks for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Did not notice the white spot , yes it can go .

@ Colin ... i am ok with the eye , no need for more dodging , as i already dodged it . The bill tip ... well i can do that .

Cheers Andreas