PDA

View Full Version : Gannet coming home with nesting material

Andreas Liedmann
12-31-2022, 05:08 AM
Hi folks a last one for this year ...
Wish all of you a healthy and succesful year 2023 !!!!!

Image taken on Helgoland Island in may 2022 , sun was already behind clouds in the evening before the actual sunset .... time to experiment with slow shutter speeds
Not ideally executed , but i was hoping for a sharp head and blurry wings .... albeit the wing position is not the best i do like it .

Canon EOS R3
EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 640 ; 1/125 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2023 ; slightly cropped from all sides to gain a better comp

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions in 2022 to my postings

Cheers Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
12-31-2022, 09:16 AM
Happy New Year to you as well Andreas!!

The slow shutter speed works well here, but like you I feel the wing position is not the best but still works relatively well. I like the pleasing blues in the BG!

Brian Sump
12-31-2022, 04:46 PM
Blessings in '23 Andreas and no where but up for sure!

On this one, I love the choice to go slow SS and still nail the head sharp. Very peaceful with the even light and soft blue.

Wing position brings it down a bit but the lack of eye contact/head angle is what really puts a stop on it from here. Otherwise, nicely seen.

Kurt Bowman
12-31-2022, 07:43 PM
Agree with you and others about the wing position not being prime, but we’ll executed IMO!

Dorian Anderson
01-01-2023, 12:49 AM
I like this. Head the angle angle is slightly less-than-perfect, but you froze it completely. And the seaweed just pulls us in. I like the blur (even if he wing are flat), and the soft light lends a really mellow mood.

Jonathan Ashton
01-01-2023, 05:31 AM
Happy New year Andreas, the image concept is good and I quite like the effect you captured. The seaweed in the bill is always something to hope for.
Given the lighting you describe I wonder if it is a little too bright and colourful and cheery?

Andreas Liedmann
01-01-2023, 07:40 AM
Thanks folks for your comments much appreciated ,

I hear you about the eye contact and head angle , i am ok with them .... but think you be a touch better :bg3:

@ Jon .... you got me wrong or i described it not good enough , it was still quite bright at the time of shooting ... so the brightness is perfect for me . sun was hidden by a very thin cloud cover

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-02-2023, 11:49 AM
Hi Andreas, nice to experiment, perhaps it's slightly off mark, but with the material in the bill, it tells a story for me.

TFS
Steve