PDA

View Full Version : Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)

Jonathan Ashton
12-17-2022, 10:09 AM
This Turnstone was rooting about looking for food, the ice was pretty thick and extremely slippery, it cost us dear! I went completely A over T and banged my head on the ground, nothing to worry about so far apart from headache and a cut lip. My pal fell on his arm and it did of course have to be the one that just had the elbow joint replaced, luckily the joint survived but he has fractured his humerus.
Good news is the cameras survived but only because we were using Cotton camera carriers, this is a modified bib to carry cameras of any weight and size, I can thoroughly recommend them, had I been using a black rapid or anything similar the camera and lens would have been in pieces.
The image was taken in afternoon light so I have tried to show this.... let me know what you think.

Olympus OM-1 300mm f4 & MC14 (840mm FF equivalent)
ISO 2000 -0.7EV, 1/2500sec, f5.6
ACR/PSCC

Dorian Anderson
12-18-2022, 09:18 PM
Christ - take it easy out there! I really like the angle to the bird, but I think the ice in the foreground is distracting. I might consider cropping in a bit to minimize it. Otherwise lighting is lovely and details look pretty crisp. I'd like a bit more head turn and eye contact, but it's more than passable as presented.

Andreas Liedmann
12-19-2022, 07:00 AM
Hey Jon .... sounds like a nightmare , to get some shots :eek3::eek3:.
Nice low POV and the subject looks very nice in terms of tones and details .... nicely done . I think a little bit of tonal punch would not hurt .
Personal taste ... just think the image carries a lot of yelloow , might try to find something neutral .... and then warm it up again , as i quite like the warmer look .
Darkening the FG would help to make the subject and surroundings pop more .... alll that said as a matter of taste .

Nice one and keep an eye on yourself next time !!!!

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
12-19-2022, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it is yellow, I did make various conversions as you indicated Andreas I ended up leaving it noticeably yellow.
I am on the mend, a stiff neck and still got a dent in my head but it is becoming less apparent now, I am sure all will be well. My pal just has to avoid lifting - so no photography for him for a few weeks.

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2022, 04:58 AM
I would agree with the above comments here Jon, but go more 'pillar box', but it's the OOF FG that really kills the capture fore me.

TFS
Steve