PDA

View Full Version : Gemsbok or South African oryx, in late evening light

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2022, 06:58 AM
A Gemsbok in late evening light taken in Tswalu Kalahari, probably SA biggest private reserve, an unbelievable location and setting.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject:Gemsbok (male)
Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Lens:EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/6.3 ISO2500 EV -0.33
Original format: Landscape, slight crop
Processed via: LRC 12.0.1 & PS '23 24.0.1

Andreas Liedmann
11-22-2022, 01:56 PM
Hi Steve ... super cool light , love the warm colors .
Scenery is quite dense for the Kalahari that i know .... but this is a different area , so it must be different in terms of landscape .
Color and tones spot on and the detail and shaprness is exeptionelly good in the Gemsbok . Comp is a classical good chosen one !
I just wish the face would have been lit by that gorgeous light ...

Love that light !!!! That is Africa .....

TFS Andreas

Bill Dix
11-22-2022, 04:34 PM
Sweet light on this beautiful animal. You managed to capture head and horns in a mostly uncluttered part of the BG.

Steve Kaluski
11-23-2022, 05:09 AM
Thanks Andreas, I'm please you think I have achieved capturing the warm light as often colours can go too 'Walt Disney' and as we know, little adjustments are key.

I just wish the face would have been lit by that gorgeous light ...

Yep, but unlike some folk I won't fall into the trap of getting the subject to turn via clicks etc to draw it's attention, you just have to live with what you get dealt. :w3

Steve Kaluski
11-23-2022, 05:09 AM
Sweet light on this beautiful animal. You managed to capture head and horns in a mostly uncluttered part of the BG.

Cheers Bill. :S3:

Gabriela Plesea
11-25-2022, 04:23 PM
Dear Steve,

As you know I love the Kalahari and its creatures, so much. Your image reminds me of the magic place - stunning golden light and what a nice view of this Gemsbok!
Frame well composed, nice pose, great colours and tonality. Timing is great, HA is perfect and so is the positioning of the subject within the frame, great work in the field:cheers:

Andreas, there are areas in the KTP with dense vegetation, one example is Grootkolk (on the SA side). Lots of leopard there because of the trees which offer nice shelter when it is very hot. Just the perfect environment for them.

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Thanks again for the kind words Gabriela, it is a remarkable location and I hate to the ink what’s it’s like after the refurb. Nice to see some of the rarer animals left in Africa. :wave:

Jonathan Ashton
12-05-2022, 04:51 PM
Just a little bit of magic as Freddie would say! Super processing and a joy to view! Ia agree entirely a little bit of that light on the head/face would not have gone amiss but once again - love it!

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Just a little bit of magic as Freddie would say!

Freddie???? Freddie (Parrotface) Davis, Freddy Krueger... lost me there Jon.

Jonathan Ashton
12-06-2022, 12:15 PM
Freddie???? Freddie (Parrotface) Davis, Freddy Krueger... lost me there Jon.

MERCURY!!!! ................... Steve I despair:2eyes2:

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2022, 01:13 PM
LOL!:bg3: