PDA

View Full Version : Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Jonathan Ashton
11-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Hand held image taken in stormy Cairngorms, a young red deer buck

OM-1 300mmf4 (600mmff equiv)
ISO 4000. 1/1000 sec f4
ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2022, 12:10 PM
Looks great Jon, perhaps a sliver more on the LHS, but great detail, was this with a camera club or workshop?
Hope you said hello to Will?

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
11-06-2022, 02:49 PM
Lovely detail and colours, as well as tonality, Jon - I like this portrait very much.

Nice DoF and BG is great, good framing, wonderful textures:S3:

Warmest regards,

Jonathan Ashton
11-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Thanks Steve & Gabrilea glad you liked it. I took this image whilst on a trip to the Cairngorms, we drove thorough the hill/mountains and then spotted a few deer a hundred meters or so away. They decided to cross the road and luckily came well within shooting range, no set up or baiting involved..... just good fortune.

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2022, 04:48 PM
Great when things come together Jon, especially when it’s a serendipity moment, the blue is a nice touch and brings life to the capture. Think it’s the best processed file I’ve seen from the Olympus system.

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2022, 03:09 AM
Great when things come together Jon, especially when it’s a serendipity moment, the blue is a nice touch and brings life to the capture. Think it’s the best processed file I’ve seen from the Olympus system.

I think I have finally settled on a standardised initial file conversion approach, many different profiles and means of NR have been tried and now I feel I am getting more consistent results.

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2022, 03:30 AM
It’s exactly what I said years ago Jon, keep the workflow… simple, consistent and add to the mix anything you learn along the way that adds and or with Software updates, albeit DXO isn’t a true form of PP, just a ‘sausage’ machine :bg3:. Hopefully the days of ‘fiddling’ will be a thing of the past. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andreas Liedmann
11-07-2022, 04:15 AM
Hi Jon ... a very nice capture of this younger stag .
KIller details , superb sharpness and well thought overall processing .
If i am being very picky .... :bg3::t3.... i would personally remove the blue / cyans from the glossy nose . As it seems that there is no blue sky ..... which would be reflected in the wet nose on a clear sky . But i might be well wrong .
Other than that , a peach or gem :cheers:

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Thanks Andreas, I will check out his nose. Sharpness applied was absolutely minimal at raw and final sizing. ...... Peach eh:bg3:

Basil Dardagan
11-11-2022, 07:51 AM
A fantastic captivating portrait. All the techs look spot on to me and most importantly the image is a treat to look at !!