PDA

View Full Version : Royal Spoonbill landing

Paul Burdett
11-03-2022, 01:01 AM
I watched as this Spoonbill came in to land and captured a number of "landing" poses. This is my favourite. Basic adjustments in ACR, PS and Topaz. Nothing added or removed. Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f5.6, iso2000.

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2022, 04:59 AM
Like the pose/angle Paul, might want to consider adding some to the LHS and at the foot with less above? Clipped the Blacks and HL's minimal but worth watching, is the blue in the bill with reducing too? Were the conditions overcast, helped on the white plumage, but looks a little flat in richness.

TFS
Steve

Paul Burdett
11-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Hi Steve. Yes...an overcast day. Original crop was 12x8, but changed to the current crop...I'll take another look at that as well as the blues. Cheers.

Brian Sump
11-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Paul, there are a lot of nice attributes to this frame.

The unique pose is cool and I think you did great with dof considering. Plenty of detail in the whites with overall nice tones. Great eye contact.

I could see this species being a challenge to expose in certain conditions with the dark face/bill and bright white plumage.

As a personal preference I have always like descending subjects to be more in the upper part of the frame than the lower. Good with the vertical comp but would suggest looking to adjust the area above vs below.

Paul Burdett
11-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Hi Brian. Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly take another look and apply your suggestions. Cheers.

Bill Dix
11-06-2022, 11:51 AM
Great landing pose. Beautiful bird. I might consider emphasizing the catchlight a tad. Good comp suggestion from Brian.

Paul Burdett
11-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Hi Bill. Thank you...will follow up on your suggestions. Cheers.

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2022, 03:30 AM
I like the pose and the whites are showing good detail, I too would place the bird slightly higher in the frame. As suggested previously removing some blue from the bill and legs also works well.

Paul Burdett
11-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Cheers Jonathan...will follow up on the suggestions given.