PDA

View Full Version : Teasel Bud

Ed Vatza
07-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Teasel is one of my favorites. I love to photograph Teasel year around - budding in spring and early summer, flowering in the summer, and the seed pods all winter. Today we found some just beginning to bloom. they were big and tall - well over my head. But I focused in on a tender young 'un. As I worked my way around this single plant, I found that I liked the backlit perspective the best so I went with it.

Canon 30D; 24-70mm f/2.8L lens; tripod mounted (while I had flash and diffuser attached, I opted to go with natural light)

1/500 sec at f/4; ISO 400; 0 EV; FL 70mm

John Cooper
07-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes Ed one of my favourites to and you have presented it very nicely indeed. The back-lighting gives the image lots of impact although some may say some of the whites are a little hot but it seems to work for me. Well done!!

Bruce Murden
07-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I too love teasels, and this is a great comp with the varied shades of green for BG. Goes to show how important to work the BG after you identify the subject! Natural lighting was the way to go with this one. Great highlights with the backlighting, and plenty of fill on the front from ambient, or bouncing off you, or whatever!

Ed Vatza
07-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks John. Thanks Bruce. I'm not sure what season I most enjoy photographing Teasel but it may actually be Winter. I love those dried seed pods.

I think I ultimately walked around this plant 3 or 4 times looking for an angle that I liked. I tried shooting with frontlight but it just wasn't doing it for me. Ultimately I decided on this backlit perspective and am happy with the images.

I am certainly glad to see that you guys like it too! :)

Julie Kenward
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
This is really beautiful Ed and I'm really glad that with that amount nd quality of natural light you opted out on the flash. It's stunning as presented. The spider web pieces add a realistic touch but it would be nice to realism but you could go either way with taking them out or leaving them in.

And thank you...I had no idea these had a name!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Liked the amazing looking bud. Only wish u'd positioned urself in such a way that the darker regions in the background would have been behind the bud. i.e. moving to ur left & shooting the same would have brought the dark green regions, behind ur bud & that wud have provided a good separation (isolation) of the bud from the BG.

Arthur Morris
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Perfect COMP but wish for a more uniform or at least a less distracting BKGR.