PDA

View Full Version : Puffin (Fratercula arctica)

Jonathan Ashton
10-13-2022, 08:33 AM
Hand held image captured on the Isle of Lunga
Top left there was a white OOF splodge so I filled it in.

OM-1, 300mm f4 (600mm ff equiv)

ISO 3200, 1/3200 sec f6.3

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
10-13-2022, 09:42 AM
Hi Jon, I think the light has helped lift the dark plumage nicely, offering some gorgeous detail, albeit the shadows are chocked. A bit more head turn to camera I think would have helped. The flowers are a nice touch, but again I think a 'sliver' more below at the foot would be good, just a fraction tight again for me. The extra DoF with the camera does help and keeps the ISO low.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-13-2022, 11:40 AM
Hi Jon, I think the light has helped lift the dark plumage nicely, offering some gorgeous detail, albeit the shadows are chocked. A bit more head turn to camera I think would have helped. The flowers are a nice touch, but again I think a 'sliver' more below at the foot would be good, just a fraction tight again for me. The extra DoF with the camera does help and keeps the ISO low.

TFS
Steve

Steve I spent some time on the black plumage, being fully aware of the issues you mention, I thought I had nailed them but file compression may have seen to that! Agreed more below would have been good. Micro 4/3 - yes not as good as full frame at high ISO but to some good extent this is mitigated because I don't need to go so high in most instances.

Steve Kaluski
10-13-2022, 11:53 AM
Steve I spent some time on the black plumage, being fully aware of the issues you mention, I thought I had nailed them but file compression may have seen to that!

You will see it clipped in the Histogram prior to export, doubt its the compression as we would all suffer. :S3:

Agreed more below would have been good. Micro 4/3 - yes not as good as full frame at high ISO but to some good extent this is mitigated because I don't need to go so high in most instances.

One of the advantages I guess, more DoF with not having to push the ISO, the only issue is when you start getting beyond 3200-6400+

Dorian Anderson
10-14-2022, 01:04 PM
The setting is really lovely; a slight bit of head and/or body turn towards you and this would have been a real winner. I don't mind the blacks as presented. This is exactly how the bird appears to one's eye in the field. Could
you massage more detail from the blocked bits, sure. No doubt. But sometimes the extra contrast adds a bit of drama. It more personal choice than anything.