PDA

View Full Version : Bonnelli's eagle (Aquila fasciata)

Jonathan Ashton
10-07-2022, 04:17 PM
I revisited some old files from the Chambal River in India:

Hand held taken from a boat, Olympus EM1X, 300mm f4 & MC14

ISO 1250 EV +0.7, 1/1600 sec f9

ACR/PSCC

Dorian Anderson
10-07-2022, 08:43 PM
Wasn't sure what I'd get when I clicked on the thumbnail, but this cracks despite the non-conventional pose! Sharpness and detail are fantastic, and the direct stare sucks the viewer in. I don't think you could have made a better image. Bird's chest might bit be a bit blue/green, so might be worth seeing if you can make that white sparkle a bit more.

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2022, 09:43 AM
Hi Jon, I think if IQ allows, crop in just a fraction more and give a bit more FG some oomph, it's always darker. Agree the whites/subject need tweaking so the colours aren't carrying additional colour.

Are you using the new updated Olympus Raw convertor or the DXO? I'm assigning f/9 is around f/16 which has worked, like the lowish POV.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Hi Jon, I think if IQ allows, crop in just a fraction more and give a bit more FG some oomph, it's always darker. Agree the whites/subject need tweaking so the colours aren't carrying additional colour.

Are you using the new updated Olympus Raw convertor or the DXO? I'm assigning f/9 is around f/16 which has worked, like the lowish POV.

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve - good observation I agree, no not using Olympus Workspace, I do have latest version - rather like DPP in some ways does quite a lot but relatively slow and clunky. I use DXO PureRaw for most of my images before going to ACR/PSCC, it quite literally transforms them I love it, but I do not apply sharpening I do that in ACR.

Steve Kaluski
10-09-2022, 01:30 AM
DXO - That’s fine Jon, it seems to work, I guess it stops any fiddling as the whole process is automated with zero input, ‘pop it in, out it comes’, not for me, I like to have control rather than the software. :bg3:

Randy Stout
10-12-2022, 06:11 AM
Jon:

Unusual pose, good POV. I agree with Dorian about the whites. I see the whole image as having a slight color cast, so did some selective adjustments and thought it helped. Fun to go back and revisit 'vintage' images, and reprocess them a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
10-12-2022, 06:18 AM
Jon:

Unusual pose, good POV. I agree with Dorian about the whites. I see the whole image as having a slight color cast, so did some selective adjustments and thought it helped. Fun to go back and revisit 'vintage' images, and reprocess them a bit.

Cheers

Randy