PDA

View Full Version : So, wanna run a workshop huh?

Jim Poor
07-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I thought about putting this in the workshops section, but since it isn't about a specific event, I thought here would be a better fit.

Well, this is something I'm considering in the future. I'd love to hear from those of you who have done it and would be willing to offer some advice.

I have a background in instructional systems design and training delivery so that should help.

This would be a pet photography workshop, but I'm sure a lot of things apply from nature workshops.

The basic idea:
1. Get 2-3 photographers to run the event.
2. Get a local animal rescue group to supply the "models" in exchange for a contribution of some of the proceeds.
3. A couple of the groups in the area have enough property and space that it may be possible to use their facilities, otherwise:
4. Get a conference room or classroom.
5. Build a curriculum - Photo skills, business skills, processing skills, some more advanced PS.
6. Make a name, or find someone who is well known enough to be a draw.
7. Get sponsors.
8. Market the heck out of it.

I've talked to a couple of photographers in the area as well as several of the groups that I do volunteer shoots for. The reception is good, but we're still in the wee early stages of the concept.

I'd love to hear from folks who have done it. Here or in private is fine.

Thanks
Jim

David Smith
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Jim:

Don't know how much help this will be but..

A few years agao, I ran several workshops covering Nature Photography, Bird Photography, Flower Photography, Macro Photography and all of the Canon EOS 35mm cameras. I ran my workshops out of a small room behind a Wolf Camera Store. In additions, I ran several field trips within 100 miles of my area.

Before I started, I put together a slide presentation on each of my workshops. I then wrote, in outline form, a handout for each of my workshops. People tend to forget quickly or cannot read their own notes, so I did that for them. I also hung numerous prints of my work in my classroom, so that people could view them and so that I could also use them for examples in my teaching.

I tried to keep my workshops small, as I was the only one doing these workshops, but with a couple more instructors you could enlarge your workshop size. I always had my equipment on hand, so that I could demonstate what I was talking about and I had the class bring their equipment, so that I could be sure they knew how to do it on their cameras. We also done some, in class, hands on, work, especially in Macro and Flower Photography Workshops..I also tried to hold my workshops to 3 or 4 hour blocks,twice a week, so that no one got tired and let their mind wander. On request, I would do a complete workshops in one to two straight 8 hour days instead of splitting it up..

On my field trips, I would be sure that I had a Liability Waiver signed and witnessed, before the field trip started. This was for my protection in todays society..

I also began a four page, fold open, quarterly newsletter that I would send to any of my workshop or field trip participants. In the newsletter, I would put numerous bits of information on new equipment, different areas that might be hot for the coming quarter, and of course, my upcoming quarterly schedule of Workshops and Field Trips. I had each participant fill out a registration form for workshops and field trips. This is where I would get my mailing lists. This was before I thougt about using the internet for newsletters.

You might also check with your local photo shops and see if they could give you some 10% off discount coupons for use in their stores, or maybe some small key chains, lens cleaning clothes, etc..

As far as advertising went, I made up some advertising pages and put them in those clear acrylic, stand up photo holders and placed them in the various camera stores in my area. Most of the camera stores were receptive to my putting my advertisement in their store and would give me the discount coupons, in return for the business it brought in..

Jim, I had many good times, met many interesting people, some who have become close friends and had the pleasure of watching their faces, as they learned things that they never knew before. It was very rewarding.

I hope that this will be of some help to you..

Good luck..

Dave.

David Smith
07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Jim:

Forgot to add.. If I can be of any assistance or you have any questions, you can e-mail me at dsnaphoto@aol.com..

Dave

Jim Poor
07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dave. This idea is certainly in its infant stage, but your thoughts are a great help.
Best,
Jim