PDA

View Full Version : Gannet (Morus bassanus)

Jonathan Ashton
09-02-2022, 04:23 AM
Gannet searching around the cliff tops looking for nesting material

Hand held
OM-1, 300mm f4 (600mm equiv)
ISO 2000 +0.3, 1/2000 se f5.6

ACR/PSCC

Andreas Liedmann
09-02-2022, 07:09 AM
Hi Jon ... a typical cruising Gannet image .
Sky is what it is , flight pose is solid and not too bad for me .
For me the dark and mid tones are too dark ... check the eye , should be more detail visible IMHO .
The plumage is more on the yellow side , strong yellow cast in the underwings ... might be matter of taste .

Where is the darkish halo coming from, along the head and upper wings ?? Just asking because of interest ... just jump into my eyes , without going pixel peeping . .

TFS Andreas

Dorian Anderson
09-02-2022, 10:52 AM
Overhead pose isn't ideal, but you exposure was spot on and you captured some really exquisite detail on the subject. I agree with Andreas that the image looks a little heavy; I also see the dark halo he references, though I might not have had he not primed for for it!

Joseph Przybyla
09-02-2022, 02:41 PM
Hi Jon, a pleasure looking at this bird I have on seen in images posted on BPN. Sharp image, not familiar with the bird the colors look good. Thank you for sharing.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2022, 05:30 AM
To be honest, this one does not thrill me. Andreas touched on some of the problems. Yes it is sharp, and yes it is a gannet. The near-wing position is far less than appealing. The bird's head is turned away a bit putting the recessed eye in shadow. And the whites of the underparts appear too gray. I like photographing in low light so Ido not mind the sky at all.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
09-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.