PDA

View Full Version : Touch Down at High Noon

William Dickson
08-31-2022, 05:11 PM
Canon R6
f/7.1
1/5000
ISO 500(auto)

Lesser Black Backed Gull.....A few clouds about and the light was changing quickly in the wind....so I decided to try out the auto ISO .....

Will

Dorian Anderson
09-01-2022, 07:30 AM
Great eye contact with perfect exposure. Splayed primaries on left wing are really cool. Image does seem a bit noisy for ISO 500; it's most noticeable in the upper portion of the frame.

Jonathan Ashton
09-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Super shot Will a real attention grabber. Excellent colours and exposure. Noise is not an issue to me.

Brian Sump
09-01-2022, 07:29 PM
Fun behavior of an otherwise simple and abundant species Will.

The pose makes it quite enjoyable and it pops really nicely on the even, dark sand. I bet it also looks good in pano crop.

Curious if there isn't a slight green tinge? Certainly did not pull into PS but feels that way in some of the plumage. Otherwise, a fun one to see, TY!

Andreas Liedmann
09-02-2022, 08:07 AM
Hi Will .. nice clean shot with good eye contact . sun angle is quite difficult and harsh already ... so you did quite well .
As the sun was already high I would expect cool whites and not being slightly warmish ... and I would expect a lot more light / brightness as presented . Just my take ... overall toooo dark for me .
I am with Dorian about the relatively large amount of noise /grain in the BG ... at Iso 500 ??? Maybe you have underexposed the image ....:w3

Still in testing mode of auto iso ?? You still need to make exposure compensation ...

TFS Andreas

William Dickson
09-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Hi Will .. nice clean shot with good eye contact . sun angle is quite difficult and harsh already ... so you did quite well .
As the sun was already high I would expect cool whites and not being slightly warmish ... and I would expect a lot more light / brightness as presented . Just my take ... overall toooo dark for me .
I am with Dorian about the relatively large amount of noise /grain in the BG ... at Iso 500 ??? Maybe you have underexposed the image ....:w3

Still in testing mode of auto iso ?? You still need to make exposure compensation ...

TFS Andreas

I was under - 1 stop .....most of the whites were spot on

Kurt Bowman
09-03-2022, 07:13 PM
I like the pose and the whites were handled well...especially for high noon! I see the comments regarding the noise, but that came be an easy fix with some NR

Steve Kaluski
09-08-2022, 11:56 AM
I was under - 1 stop .....most of the whites were spot on

Sorry Will, I don't understand, if the whites were spot on why was it -1 under if you were ETTR? Also is it a big crop, you don't say, assuming its the 400 with a 1.4x?

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
09-09-2022, 05:33 AM
I like the bird and the pose, but the dirt beach (?) would not be my number one choice as a BKGR. I am curious about your use of AUTO ISO. How are you compensating and to what degree? Getting the right exposure using AUTO ISO without using EC (Exposure Compensation) is pure luck.

with love, artie

William Dickson
09-10-2022, 05:42 AM
Hi Steve and Artie......Because of the direct sunlight on the white bird, you can see the shadow below it... I underexposed by one stop. EC -1.....This enabled the shot without blowing the whites....No ETTR this time Steve......Small crop for comp.....Bare lens....( Should have mentioned this when I posted)

Will