PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Siblings

Bill Sharkey
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM
These Peregrine Falcon siblings are still racing and playing. I didn't know I had this shot till I got home. :)

Shot with Canon MIII, 400mm f5.6, 1/2000, ISO 500, Manual Exp., spot meter, no flash, handheld with Bushhawk.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2800693208_1a3441d74a_o.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Bill

Thanks to Jim for dragging me back down to the Falls ;)

Fabs Forns
07-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Terrific interaction with great wingspread and fanned tails.

The plumage patterns is really evident, only wish the one in the top showed the face more.

Julie Kenward
07-12-2008, 07:03 PM
That is one incredible image! I wish you'd post the specs for it...I'd love to know how you got it!

Alfred Forns
07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Agree with previous and what a awesome capture !!! Particularly like the fine detail and wing positions !!! Bill this should have looked mighty fine even on the camera screen !!! btw one of the birds is banded and will be moving to the other avian gallery Big Congrats !!!

Bill Sharkey
07-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone,
I have posted the standard specs at the top of the post.

All Peregrine Juv. here are tagged, they are not captive. Would appreciate you moving my post back.

Thanks

Bill

James Shadle
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Bill,
You have captured a wonderful image.
The sharpness is excellent, but the exposure puts this over the top.

Now about the move. This is the "Captive, Hand of Man" forum.
The tags on the Peregrine makes it necessary to post this image here.
Al made the correct call by moving it.

Bill said : "next time check with me before assuming I am trying to pass a free bird as captive"
I'm sure Al did not assume you were trying to pull a fast one on us, passing a captive bird off as a wild and free bird.
But what he did say was: btw one of the birds is banded.

A band or tag is easy to miss or is not readily recognized as Hand of Man ( I moved one of Arthur Morris' images last week for the same thing), but it is.

You can see below, I copied the forum outlines.

Avian: Wild and Free
"For posting and critiquing images of free, wild and unrestrained birds. These images should not include any hand of man elements."

Avian: Captive, Hand of Man
"For posting and critiquing images of captive birds or bird images that include hand of man elements."

The fact that this image is in the Avian: Captive, Hand of Man forum does not take away from the beauty and quality of the image.

Thanks for understanding,
James

PS Bill said: Getting up at 4:00a.m. is for the birds! :)
How did you know what time I get up to go create bird images?:)

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Fantasstic as above. With the birds angle a bit differently to the imaging sensor the upper bird appears a lot darker than the lower bird. I would recommend lightening the upper bird a bit. There are several ways to do this; a Shadow Highlight adjustment would be fastest if not best.

Bill Sharkey
07-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for taking the time to clear this up James.

Bill

Brian Wong
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Bill!

Impressive details and sharpness for both ... and awesome interaction between the pair! Very strong feel, as I wish I could fly and play too! Agree with Fabs, maybe lighten up the face slightly might bring out a tiny eye? Sky looks great, and no other suggestion, congratulations on a really nice image!

Lana Hays
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Bill
Great to get 2 in one image......with the sparring. Really interesting. Good suggestions have been given so all I can really add is......excellent.

Bill Sharkey
07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone,

The background is not a sky but a rock face. This photo was taken at Niagara Falls.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bill

Arthur Morris
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Bill, the wonderful image has disappeared...

Bill Sharkey
07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I think it's back Artie. The source/reference site must have gone down temporarily.

Bill

Arthur Morris
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
It is back and it is still beautiful. As you are a member, do take advantage of hosting your images with us.