PDA

View Full Version : Bittern

Joan Chasan
07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Viera Wetlands, Jan 2008. KM 5d. sigma 170-500 . I still don't know how to format these to upload. the size is ok, but I feel it doesn't have enough kb or something and doesn't look as good here as it does on my computer. I use photoshop elements 3. I could use some help with this. I also didn't know how to remove it and try again to upload a better version.
750mm (in 35mm film)
1/1250 sec, f/7.1
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off

Doug Brown
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
You have a maximum of 200 KB for each photo, and I'd suggest that you use as much of it as possible. You should be able to edit your post. Then select Manage Attachments under Additional Options. Upload the new photo. If that's too complicated, just repost the new version in this thread. I'll reserve comment until I see the new one, as this image suffers from a fair amount of JPEG compression. Thanks for posting!

Joan Chasan
07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Maybe this is a better version?

Alfred Forns
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
This is much better Joan !!!!

Real sharp and well exposed Also got the bird in the open I like the green all around him just wish the water had less clutter does grab attention !!! Only solution is getting really low to blow the bg but not always possible at the Wetlands.

Looks like you got the posted size under control if you need help please PM and will help !!! Might take a bit since I'm out but check !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Great composition Joan. Bird does look sharp. Would like a little less busy background.
Regards,

Katie Rupp
07-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Joan, your Bittern is nice and sharp and looks very alert. I like that you captured the habitat and the repost is an improvement. Good job!

Gus Cobos
07-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the BPN family Joan,
I like your repost...no suggestions from me. all points have been covered. Looking foward to your next one...:cool:

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Joan - as above - big welcome!!

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Joan and welcome. I like the subject and the basic COMP though a vertical would have been better. The big problem with this image's appearance is likely with your image optimization skills. The image--especially the blue water BKGR-- is quite noisy and the bird's head (at least) is over-sharpened. Was the original underexposed???

You might consider getting a copy of our Digital Basics File (or following along with it exactly if you already have one).

ps: The image size in kbs is over-rated. I often post images ranging from 50-100 kbs and folks rave about the quality of the j-pegs...

Joan Chasan
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Here is a vertical. might not be sharpened enough and probably should learn how to clone out some of the junk in the water!

thanks everyone for all the helpful comments!