PDA

View Full Version : Linnet

Andreas Liedmann
07-30-2022, 04:54 AM
hi folks ... just by luck I stumbled above this bird during a photowalk on Helgoland Island , so this was no set up and I basically tracked the bird down to get closer ... well as close as he let me .
shooting conditions not ideal , all happened quick basically a grab shot .
was not prepared for a flight shot and not quick enough to change the shutter speed , so the image was not 100 % sharp but the focus locked on the head .
finally I was ending up with a ( at least for me ) large crop of taking away 45 % of the original pixels .
Iq held up at least ok , so I thought posting a new bird here to the forum might be a good idea .

canon eos R3
ef 200 - 400 is l at 526 mm
hh

f 7,1 , iso 3200 , 1/2000 sec , man exp

processed with Capture One and pscc 2022 , clean up of two oof twigs .

thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

cheers Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
07-31-2022, 03:32 AM
Pretty good Andreas I think acceptably sharp, I know you normally think it is or it is not sharp and if it is not then reject it. I think in this case the image is worth showing. Ideally the bird would have been clear of the perch, I am guessing subsequent shots no good.
(I have posted Linnets several times previously).

Colin Driscoll
07-31-2022, 03:57 AM
Nice wing spread and good grab shot. Would be tempted to take out the perch as it doesn't add to the shot.

Joseph Przybyla
07-31-2022, 06:41 AM
Hi Andreas, I kind of echo Jon's comments. I go back and forth regarding the perch. Nice image, thank you for sharing.

Arthur Morris
07-31-2022, 05:30 PM
This one is a stunner. I'd leave the perch else it would look phony -- taking off from what? We see the hind claws as he is pushing away.

How would you compare the AF of the R3 with the 1DX II?

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
07-31-2022, 05:30 PM
ps: Super sharp on the eye and a killer dorsal wing position.
with love, artie

Andreas Liedmann
08-02-2022, 04:03 AM
thanx folks for your kind comments , much appreciated .

i am with Arthur about the stick , it has to stay .

cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
08-02-2022, 04:09 AM
How would you compare the AF of the R3 with the 1DX II?

with love, artie

easy to answer .... at least with this kind of shooting scenario , meaning walking , seeing subject .... and start to fire I would have get no image with the focus bang on the head with the 1dx ii !!!!
the R3 is a big leap in terms of AF , but also more complicated at the same time .... too many options .
i have set it up to 3 back button focus .... sometimes ( when things happening fast in the field ) I am getting confused and my thumb is not fast enough :bg3::bg3::bg3: . or even my brain ....

cheers Andreas