PDA

View Full Version : SPPL on the mudflat buffet

David Pugsley
07-01-2022, 10:39 AM
Here's another from my most recent session at Ft. DeSoto. The SPPLs were feasting heavily on worms - the action was fast and furious. With the sun and wind cooperating the birds would feed into sun/wind angle but, just as they cleared the worm from the sand, they would turn away from the wind to blow the worm straight for easier gulping. I managed to snatch this shot just before the bird turned away. The HA could be a bit more towards me, but I'll take it given the challenge. And what can I say about the potential of Ft. D backgrounds? They are a canvas.

Sony a1
Sony 600 f/4 w/ 1.4x
panning ground-pod
1/3200, f/5.6 ISO1000

Gabriela Plesea
07-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Supe cute, David. Tiny bird with a tiny worm. Love the POV here and background is superb.

I am ok with the head angle, subject looks preoccupied, focused on his catch. Might have allowed a tiny bit more at the bottom of the frame... but personal preference.

Loved this image, bird is well exposed with good detail, wonderful colours.

I took great pleasure viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,

Paul Burdett
07-01-2022, 05:25 PM
I echo Gabriela's positives here. Really like the overall composition here, and yes, that BG is indeed a "canvas"...love the gradient style as it moves from the blues to the greens. If I had to suggest anything at all it would be to take a little more off the top and and the RHS, and clone out the second (upper) catchlight, but it's great as is. TFS

Joseph Przybyla
07-02-2022, 08:29 AM
Hi David, nice sharp image of this plover. I think the head angle is fine. I love the gradient colors in the background. Thank you for sharing.

Andreas Liedmann
07-03-2022, 11:09 AM
killer overall image with superb iq and color palette .

a real pleasure to look at

tfs Andreas

Arthur Morris
07-04-2022, 04:01 AM
Kiler. I would definitely go for more of a pano crop. I'd wish that you had caught the head just one or two degrees more toward us but still a stellar image. Bad luck that the worm hole sand pile was behind him rather than in front of him.

Do you remember if it was actively shaking its head when you pressed the shutter button?

much love, artie