PDA

View Full Version : "The sunset kopje King"

Marc Mol
06-28-2022, 02:50 AM
"BJ" (Bob Jnr) poses superbly for me as I caught him mid stride atop his Semetu kopje home. From my recent Serengeti trip.

(Apologies for my absence, but have been very busy in selling all of my 18 F mount lenses (bar my 500PF & 180-400TC) and 3 of my 4 DSLR's (keeping the D500) in the move to mirrorless with the superb and long awaited (at least for me) Z9.
I'm loving the challenges it's bringing and will match this with a Z14-24, Z24-70, Z70-200 and the amazing Z400TC S f/2.8 (arriving AUG) w/two Z9's.)

Eastern Serengeti- TZ.

Bean bag front pax seat, DeNoise AI, TK adj's curves, levels in ACR, PS CC 22.

Nikon D850
Nikkor 70-200E FL VF f/2.8
f/4
1/1000s
ISO1000@ 200mm.

Cheers
Marc

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2022, 07:42 AM
A very unusual image, I really like it very much. The lion silhouette looks majestic and I really like the colours in the sky.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
06-28-2022, 11:53 AM
Fantastic image Marc! Love the upward incline of the Kopje and the pose of the lion. The BG colours are simple gorgeous! Works beautifully! T F S.

Gabriela Plesea
06-28-2022, 01:18 PM
Very nice image of this solitary male, love the background and colours. And the tail of the lion:)

I can just imagine being there, must have been awesome. Would have liked to see the subject a bit more to the left of the frame, with more space to the right - but I gather you must have your reasons for framing this way, perhaps you were avoiding some vegetation at the top of the kopje?

Thank you so much for sharing, and welcome back! Looking forward to more...

Kind regards,

haseeb badar
06-28-2022, 01:20 PM
Hi Marc -- Great to have you posting again . Mirrorless is a big switch for you , hope you are enjoying the new equipments.

Coming to the image, It really is a fantastic image. I loved different colours in the sky and the kings silhouette against that backdrop just makes the image for me.

Wonderful done. Enjoyed viewing this image. Keep them coming.

TFS !

Marc Mol
06-28-2022, 04:35 PM
Many thanks for the positive comments everyone, greatly appreciated.

Would have liked to see the subject a bit more to the left of the frame, with more space to the right - but I gather you must have your reasons for framing this way, perhaps you were avoiding some vegetation at the top of the kopje?

Good pick up Gabriela, there was a larger more vertical rock coming into the frame. :w3 Centred or not, one would have to be happy just to get this rare timed opportunity.

This was one of my highlights from this trip. :bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
06-29-2022, 12:11 AM
Morning Marc,

Aaaargh thought so. It happens! Never mind, he is so beautiful, with that mane of his and that curled tail:bg3: Gorgeous!

Arthur Morris
06-29-2022, 04:55 PM
Hey Marc, Nice to see you back here. Ditto all the positives. With allude respect, two things bug me. As mentioned above the image design. The lion is actually left of center as there is more room from the end of the tail to the left frame-edge than there is from the end of the snout to the right frame-edge. In addition, the brightest light is slightly behind the lions tail.

With love, artie

Marc Mol
06-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Thanks Artie

The lion is actually left of center as there is more room from the end of the tail to the left frame-edge than there is from the end of the snout to the right frame-edge. In addition, the brightest light is slightly behind the lions tail.

If you see my reply to Gabriela above, you'd note my reasons for the (less than ideal) centred placement. :w3

Keeping everyone happy, my cropped from F/F 2-3 ratio version, although some of that glorious upper sky is lost.

Gabriela Plesea
06-30-2022, 12:46 PM
Happy, yes, looks much better Marc. Works for me, and I think I like the lion bigger in the frame:w3

Arthur Morris
07-01-2022, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Marc. I like the cropped version much better. with love, artie

ps: Had read you reply to Queen G :)

Andreas Liedmann
07-01-2022, 10:44 PM
hi marc ... a real corker in terms of content .

killer sky and silhouette , love it !!!!

A