View Full Version : Isle of Mull Hoodie

William Dickson
05-28-2022, 11:40 AM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
f/8
1/800
ISO 3200

These Hooded Crows are resident in Northern Scotland especially on the Western Isles.....Not an easy bird to get close to...I was cooking dinner in the cottage, and looking out the window I saw this one fly down and perch nearby....dinner put on pause....and managed to get a few shots whilst hiding behind the partially open door....ACR, Topaz NR and PS.

Will

Andreas Liedmann
05-28-2022, 11:49 AM
Hi Will .. well worth pausing the dinner preparation !!!

Works well as presented on all counts . Do like the fine detail and sharpness you rendered . IQ is great :5:cheers:

TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
05-28-2022, 11:00 PM
Will, I presume this is a common subject? First time for me and you showed him off very well sir.

Lots of details in the plumage, even blacks. I like the large, faint specular transitions in the bkg and really nice dorsal pose. Little moss on the perch helps that part.

I can't tell if this is 2x3, feels a bit more 4x5 but even if so, perhaps a *touch more room around might benefit but hard to suggest much.

PS - very small smudge in the URC, might be worth a quick stamp out.

Steve Kaluski
05-29-2022, 02:52 AM
Very nice Will, but a bit more all round would help the subject to breathe, I find it a tad tight personally. Much prefer the more 'mottled' backdrop to the plain, solid greens, adds character and authenticity for me. Well exposed with good detail & sharpness, well done.

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
05-29-2022, 06:24 AM
Hi Wil, really nice image. I love the colors of the bird that I am not familiar with. Everything looks good to me, thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
05-29-2022, 05:59 PM
I love the bird and its various shades of grey. Good IQ as well. Not sure if the head itself should go darker, but I not familiar with this bird so perhaps this is faithful to its plumage. I am personally not sold on the comp - a vertical may have worked here if you had time to back up a bit, or a looser crop as per Brian. Excellent background, and it gave you a perfect head turn!

William Dickson
05-30-2022, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the advice and tips....much appreciated....

Will

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Thought you were off to sunny Spain Will, with a photo group this month, rather than Mull?

William Dickson
05-30-2022, 02:59 PM
Thought you were off to sunny Spain Will, with a photo group this month, rather than Mull?

It was Albania Steve.....but because of that illness I had, the Doc recommended I don't travel abroad until next year...

Will

Arthur Morris
05-30-2022, 02:59 PM
Killer pose, head turn, view of the back, background, and FFD. I'd love to see the bird back in the frame a bit, and a touch more room (on three sides) would not hurt either. with love, artie

William Dickson
05-30-2022, 03:06 PM
Killer pose, head turn, view of the back, background, and FFD. I'd love to see the bird back in the frame a bit, and a touch more room (on three sides) would not hurt either. with love, artie

Thanks Artie....