PDA

View Full Version : Dickcissel from Tennessee

Dorian Anderson
05-28-2022, 07:58 AM
Pet-sitting for 2 dogs and 3 cats in Nashville for another day before we head to Indianapolis for 4 days (1 dog) and Chicago for 10 (2 indoor/outdoor pigs and 6 chickens!).

Here's a frame from a local park. It was conceived as a birding outing, but I ran back to the car and grabbed my rig when there were Dickcissels singing
from exposed perches, this guy lured with a audio.

I went with the loose crop for 2 reasons. First, the bird was a bit far off. A tighter vertical would be better, but I don't have pixels to maintain the IQ (already a heavier-than-usual crop).
And second, this is the most uniform BG I've ever generated, so I figured an exaggerated crop would highlight it while still allowing the bird to pop.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
Processed in LR ad Topaz. Cloned a small clump of leave since their bright undersides were showing (and thereby distracting).

Andreas Liedmann
05-28-2022, 11:54 AM
Hi Dorian ... stunning subject , very well processed . Nice head turn and simple perch .
Color , tones and contrast looking good as does the sharpness .... even for a " large " crop .

The only thing I do wish would be a somehow structured BG , a bit too uniform for my liking .....

TFS Andreas

Arthur Morris
05-28-2022, 02:00 PM
Beautiful bird with a nice head turn toward you. I love the BKGR. Perhaps less YELLOW and a bit lighter on the greens.

with love, artie

Brian Sump
05-28-2022, 10:57 PM
A really fine image of the Dickissel Doran.

Fantastic lighting and angle, that limey backdrop is silky smooth and really love that budding stem its on. I think Artie has a fine point on a possible way to enhance the bkg.

Slight bit of haloing around the beak, but you could touch that up a bit only if you want, very minor.

Well seen, TY!

Joseph Przybyla
05-29-2022, 06:26 AM
Hi Dorian, nice clean image. I am not familiar with the bird but all looks good. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
05-29-2022, 06:02 PM
I love the comp as is, very well balanced. Good pose here, and nice of the little guy to perch high on the branch. I would have ran back to the car too!