David Pugsley
05-20-2022, 09:47 AM
May 12, 2022
Ft DeSoto Park, Pinellas County, FL

1/2500
f/5.6
ISO 1000

Sony a1 with 600 f/4 and 1.4x

This wing flap is, IMO, the best of a sequence of ~25 images. I was happy to see several hundred knots on this day, and was even more happy to isolate a few. It was a near miracle as they tend to clump together for safety.

Bill Dix
05-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Terrific wing flap (not to mention colors, POV, a1's amazing eye focus. Nicely done. Good work isolating him; as you say, they do like to huddle together.

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2022, 03:35 PM
Hi David ... a really cool frame of the bird with a lovely looking wing flap .
Love the low POV , the overall colors and the tonal range . Love the smooth multicolored BG

I would try to avoid the sharpening halo , mostly visible along the beak .

TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2022, 04:26 AM
Love it - great light and colours. I love the evenly spaced water drops. I'd be OK with a touch more room all around, but still good. Can't wait to try eye-detect focus with this behaviour.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2022, 11:40 AM
Beautiful light, image, bird, and color. The low angle is great of course. Wing position gets 97/100. Tracking Zone of one of the Tracking: Spots? Something with the organ reflections looks funky. Please send me the raw file.

with love, artie

David Pugsley
05-21-2022, 11:57 AM
Beautiful light, image, bird, and color. The low angle is great of course. Wing position gets 97/100. Tracking Zone of one of the Tracking: Spots? Something with the organ reflections looks funky. Please send me the raw file.

with love, artie

Thanks Artie.
Tracking Zone was used and I’ve texted you re the RAW file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arthur Morris
05-21-2022, 01:27 PM
Thanks. Any idea what caused the weird halo in the reflection. I am usually not the one to jump on stuff like that :)

with love, a

Arthur Morris
05-21-2022, 01:28 PM
ps: I am not seeing any significant sharpening halo on the bill.

a
\

Dorian Anderson
05-21-2022, 03:01 PM
I'm a huge shorebird fan, so this sits really well with me; the low angle, lighting, pose, exposure, and sharpness all look great to me! I hardly noticed the reflection thingy Artie pointed out but I see what he means. Nothing wrong with it, just different.

I sometimes see similar 'halos' on the wet bills of shorebirds, even without much sharpening. So, I can see where Andreas is coming from but don't necessarily think you did anything wrong (i.e too much sharpening)

David Pugsley
05-21-2022, 05:50 PM
Opted to eliminate the odd reflection for a cleaner foreground.

Brian Sump
05-24-2022, 04:20 PM
David, always liked your shorebird images. This is no exception.

Beautiful perspective and nice that the body and head all fell within the very shallow focal plane. Water color and smooth feel are fantastic!

I do see the halo around the beak and find that happening to me at times in the past depending on sharpening technique, though very minor.

In the RP you did correct the one nit I had which was the posterized color blotches. Much cleaner appeal now IMO.

Mike Poole
05-24-2022, 09:51 PM
Beautiful breeding colours, I got a very similar shot a few weeks ago I was thinking of posting but the colours are nowhere near as good as yours. Nice low perspective, I prefer the RP, but do agree on this occasion its a little oversharpened. Overall a lovely frame

Mike

Arthur Morris
05-28-2022, 01:53 PM
I am good with everything above. Here is my repost, with (I think) a slightly wider crop. And no really funky reflections. The funny thing is, the reflections in the raw file are right on the edge of being funky/strange ... LMK if you'd like me to send you my optimized version.

with love, artie