PDA

View Full Version : The Alligator's Domain

Judd Patterson
01-10-2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/gator_view.jpg

Last weekend I started my morning at Anhinga Trail in Everglades National Park. I was marveling in the cloud reflections when an image idea from my mind suddenly materialized in the water before me. Thank you alligator! I really like the full image better than this small one...I think it would make a great 24x36" canvas print. :-)

Canon 5D, 17-40mm
1/50, f/7.1, ISO 400

Jasper Doest
01-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Now we're talking!

This is nice Judd....a well thought environmental wildlife photograph that could easily win a contest.It tells a lot about the environment of the gator and also looks very appealing. The ripples in the water lead your eye through the frame and the circularity of them always brings you back to the gator...which is placed so nicely. Did you use a polarizer on this one? If not, I'd be curious how this would look if you would have used one. Anyway a great photograph. May I suggest you to take off one centimeter from the top, this to put replace the focus more on the gator....

Arthur Morris
01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Tanfastic. You just cannot buy a gator in the perfect spot.

Later and love, artie

Robert Smith
01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Great image! I'm really glad you were there & ready! The gator's placement relative to the reflections is great, and the action of the alligator and the ripples elevates it to yet another level (or two...). Great job on the composition and exposure too. Congratulations.

Glenn Wheeler
01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Judd,

Above compliments echoed here. Great shot! A very unusual view of a much photographed subject.

A real winner....

Glenn Wheeler
http://www.glennwheeler.com
http://www.photoroadtrips.com

D. Robert Franz
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
This is as fine a gator shoot as I've seen... Wish it were mine... The circular ripples from the gator are absolutely riviting. The reflections in the water put it over the top.

Lana Hays
01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Judd
I don't get to this forum often but I'm so grateful I made the visit today. Holy excrement.......this is just incredible. It's been a long time since I've opened up an image and been so awed!!!

Gayle Clement
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Fantastic photo. I love those near-perfect circles.

Steve Foss
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
What everyone else said. Plus, it looks like the gator is simply hanging there admiring the stunning sky just like you are. Even looks like an appreciative half-smile on its face, much like the contented one that was probably on yours at the same moment. An instant that seems intimate and friendly with an animal seen as the antithesis of intimate and friendly. Great work.

Fabs Forns
01-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Creative and amazing :) Proud of you!

Ted Scalzo
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Congratulations on this Judd-what a winner.

Greg Forcey
01-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Very unique image of a commonly photographed subject. Great work on the composition and the exposure and I love how the ripples portray the environment.

Stephen Stephen
01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I love this image Judd and I agree that it would best be viewed poster size. Having the gator's head come fully out of the water is what really makes this shot. If he had broken the surface with just his eyes you wouldn't get the same impact. Wonderful timing on your part.

Mike Lentz
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh so very nice! One of the finer images I've seen lately.

Jesse Ivan
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Great gator. The reflection of the clouds are great. i would also like to see a lower angle on this shot.