PDA

View Full Version : Snug amongst fungi

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
While walking in the woods looking to photograph some mushrooms/fungi, I came across some fallen tree trunks piled up in wayside. Saw some interesting fungi growth in-between 2 fallen trunks in the gap. Was surprised to see this pale-coloured slug amongst it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2648223504_79d507e1ba_o.jpg

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR micro
f/16, 1/2 secs , ISO400, tripod.
Wuppertal, Germany.

Natural light only. No flash was used. The black BG is due to the dark regions in the gap between the fallen trunks.
Image was rotated 90' for vertical composition.

Here's another perspective (from Slug's eye level):
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15732

Critiques welcome...

Tony Kirkby
07-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Nice colours I've never seen a blue slug before. I wonder if it feeds on the fungi.
Nice shot just a pity we can't see more of the slug.

Tony

Sharna Lee
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Very nice looking image.
I think that the colors of the fungi and the colors of the slug are a very nice combination.
Very sharp. The detail in all is fantastic. I could go on for days about this one. I absolutly love it.

Sharna

John Cooper
07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Yes Kaushik, fungi are are common food source for slugs and snails.
The blue slug here compliments the rich yellows of the fungi. I would, however, like to see a profile of the slug eating the fungus for a stronger composition.
Did you need to crop the lower specimen Kaushik?

Kaushik Balakumar
07-12-2008, 04:36 AM
@ John: Actually I have a little more space around the slug in which full of the lower fungi is visible. But by keeping it, the slug was getting too centered in the frame & hence i decided to chop a bit of it.

Nice colours I've never seen a blue slug before. I wonder if it feeds on the fungi.
Nice shot just a pity we can't see more of the slug.

Tony
It was first time for me too. The length of the slug was approximately 1.5 inches. It was surely nibbling the top layer of the fungi it for a long time.

I have another eye level image showing the full snug. Shall post it tomorrow.

Julie Kenward
07-12-2008, 06:06 AM
I'd love to see the other image Kaushik. This one is quite interesting but a head on view would be nice to see. I personally would have liked a little more DOF to bring the surrounding elements more into focus - especially the ones directly in front of the slug.

What an interesting comp you chose, though. Love it!

Gordon Craig
07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Of your two slug pictures I think I like this one the best. The effect the the dark abyss below the slug adds a lot to this.