PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher (BOAS)

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2022, 04:43 AM
Went back to the Kingfisher location last month and they have paired up, fish being offered and constantly chasing each other. Courtship has occurred and we know where the nest is so fingers crossed, we will leave them alone and hopefully it will pay off. Three perches offered, so she chose the ugly one with the broken end, such as life.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (F) (Alcedo atthis)
Camera: Canon EOS R5
Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/7.1 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, almost FF, a sliver off the foot, FF width
Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1

Jonathan Ashton
04-09-2022, 05:30 AM
Perch is just fine for me Steve. Colours and details very good, the feathers running down the back are very close to blown but I am sure they were not in your TIFF, altogether great processing.
I keep looking at the tip of the bill - just wondering if it could perhaps be a little better defined?

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2022, 06:31 AM
Just out Jon, a fraction of movement.

Gabriela Plesea
04-09-2022, 08:13 AM
A very pleasing image from the 'design' point of view, love the composition and proportion, great colours.
Background is superb. The broken tip of the branch not a deal breaker but I do understand your frustration... especially since this little kingfisher had ' other options '.
Well processed as expected with good detail and sharpness, lovely frame. Thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2022, 10:06 AM
Hi Gabriela, thanks, she was being rather flighty, but hey ho, got some frames anyway, might see what happens in a weeks time if the weather holds.

BTW Pete just scopped up another HC award. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
04-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Thank you, Steve - I did enjoy this frame a lot, hopefully more to come.
Happy to learn of Pete's success. Such a wonderful guy and a great photographer too, he certainly deserves acknowledgement for his work:cheers:

Joseph Przybyla
04-09-2022, 05:37 PM
Hi Steve, I saw this on the laptop and had to take a look at it on the calbrated Eizo. Lovely, what not to like. Beautiful bird, pure background, interesting perch and spot on post processing. I know the birds choice of perches bugs you, I think the perch is fine. Thank you for sharing.

Colin Driscoll
04-10-2022, 02:17 AM
Lovely shot and nice planning for perches, of course you could easily hide the secateurs cut, Bill tip looks fine on my monitor as I can see each tip and the gap between.

Andreas Liedmann
04-10-2022, 05:25 AM
Hi Steve ... such a lovely capture of this sooo cool species , never had the chance so far :e3 to photograph them myself .
High IQ as expected and the not " perfect" perch does not bother me at all . Cannot see any issue with the beak .
Looks good as presented ...
I can see an alternative with slight boost in the mid tone to highlight range to create a bit more tonal depth , you know how to do that :w3.
Personally i think , the blues are not really blue more cyan/green .... might be down to the lighting and/or color variations in the species .

I am envious ... but only a bit :bg3:

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2022, 08:16 AM
Thanks folk much appreciated.

Personally i think , the blues are not really blue more cyan/green .... might be down to the lighting and/or color variations in the species .

Andreas it seems to vary a lot, even with the same bird, but like you said, light could well play a strong part being directly at the subject????

Andreas Liedmann
04-10-2022, 12:21 PM
OK Steve .... :bg3:

Kurt Bowman
04-11-2022, 02:10 PM
Nice image Steve. I don't mind the perch at all. The backside does appear to be a bit bright, but maybe that is just the species since I have never seen this one?