PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day or Good Day?

George DeCamp
12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
http://decamp.net/bpn/badday.jpg

Good Day or Bad Day?

That is your question to answer. Seems pretty easy if you are the Croc it's a good day, if you're the Wildebeest it's certainly not a good day.

Things are relative I guess. Same with photography, is my image a good image or not so good? Sometimes things are not so cut and dry and that is why we are here in this forum, to help you learn which is which so it becomes easy for YOU to decide and give you some confience. So jump in and get your feet wet, certainly we would like to help you and remember we don't bite!

Now I guess you are wondering about the above image. Certainly not a technical achievement, a bit flat and the background is not so good, but an image that will grab your attention which sometimes works also. Taken in Kenya in the Masai Mara right after a River crossing by a large herd of Wildebeest. This one didn't make it and we watched start to finish. Not a good day for the poor Wildebeest but a really good day for the Croc.

Nikon D2x, 500mm AF-S, x1.7, ISO 200, f8, 1/250, Bean Bag Support

Maxis Gamez
12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
This is very true George and your image represents your message very well. I always say "We don't know what we have, until we lose it"

Alfred Forns
12-27-2007, 09:38 PM
It is survival at its best Hate seeing them eaten but it is part of life !!!

James Shadle
12-27-2007, 10:42 PM
George,
The background does not bother me at all. I call these natural history images.
In a perfect world more room in front of the doomed Wildebeest would give the image a less cramped feel. But you know what, I would be happy to show or sell this image as is.

It was a good day for the photographer as well.
James

Judd Patterson
12-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Great post George. Good points and a vivid, action shot! You really witnessed an amazing event...just makes me wonder just a bit about the about the "docile" reputation of the American Crocodile in South Florida! :)

Jim Neiger
12-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I think any day that you get to be in Africa watching a spectacle like this is a good day. The action in this image is awesome!

Pat Pasquale
12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
""is my image a good image or not so good? Sometimes things are not so cut and dry and that is why we are here in this forum, to help you learn which is which so it becomes easy for YOU to decide and give you some confience. So jump in and get your feet wet""

Jump in and get wet and then what, biten? :) I guess all is subjective, no? good shot or not, A GREAT MOMENT it was. I can still see, hear and smell that day.
some-- most of of best shots are far from a good technical picture, but if it isnt for a competition, who cares!
good luck on this new site. thanks.

Ed Prete
12-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Circle of Life!

Interestingly enough, the first time I saw this image, I completely missed the croc.

Arthur Morris
12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Wish that I had been there (not in the water..) I'm with James in wishing that the 1.4X TC was used instead of the 1.7; this would have given the gnu (don't nobody bring me no bad gnus..) more room to get away.

later and love and very nice image,

artie

Bob Ettinger
12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Nature at its best, survival of the fittest. I do agree a little more room ot the left would help. Maybe add a little canvas,

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-31-2007, 12:12 AM
We saw the crossing while in Kenya but never had this kind of experience. Great capture of life and the survival of the fittest George. The BG tells the story of the incredible rocky cliffs that the wildebeest must encounter before entering the river and then of course to fight off the crocs. The only thing I would like to see is as already mentioned a little more room. Awesome image George !!!

Arsdel Fluesmeier
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
This is part of life. We don't like to see it but it happens.

Larry Daniel
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Ouch!

Nice one George! It would have been nice to have a bit of the pathway out of the water showing so the viewer would know how close it was to getting away safely. Sometimes one is just 'too close'.