PDA

View Full Version : Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita)

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2022, 05:38 AM
Spring is here! I really enjoy just going for a walk in the back fields and just seeing what opportunities there may be. I cleaned up a few stray twigs in the background.
Hand held image
Model Name : OM-1
Focal Length : 600.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 3200
Exposure compensation : +1.3 EV
Shutter : 1/3200 sec
Aperture : F8

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2022, 06:07 AM
Hi Jon, like the call pose, but feel everything needs to move up within the frame and the eye looks a bit soft???

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2022, 07:29 AM
Hi Jon, like the call pose, but feel everything needs to move up within the frame and the eye looks a bit soft???

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve, not much alternative to composition otherwise the twig would have looked wrong. I'll take another look at the eye. Still not at all happy with the processing yet.

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2022, 07:41 AM
Still not at all happy with the processing yet.

Would agree Jon.

Colin Driscoll
03-20-2022, 05:04 AM
Concur about the looking up appearance. The softness seems to extend across the face and beak as if running out of DOF.
Where was the AF point? Otherwise good calling pose and nice light.

Andreas Liedmann
03-20-2022, 12:11 PM
Hi Jon ... nice calling pose .
The angle is not ideal , but I think this is a free roaming bird captured during a photo walk .... so options are limited .
What are differences between the new OM 1 and your old body ... why are you struggling to process ???

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
03-21-2022, 03:06 AM
Andreas, the files appear to vary, I try to keep to a fairly standardised approach to processing but currently DxO is not available for this camera. The dynamic range is better there is certainly more detail available in the darker areas but I am finding the overall presentation variable. I think once DxO is available I will be a lot happier. The AF system is very responsive and I have been using the Olympus software to determine the sharpest images but I have realised this is folly, whilst it usually finds the sharpest images it does not always. As a result of this I am using ProCapture and limiting the number of frames per burst to 20. Af sensitivity is something I am finding less than straightforward. Grebes for example, the head is twitching all the time so AF fast or slow? Instinctively I would say fast but slow is supposed to stick on the subject - so I have tried intermediate! - not very scientific is it? To be honest I am not perceiving much difference with any Af settings. The Af area can be any shape or size you want, there are over 1000 focus points over 100% of the screen, I am not seeing much difference in starting with smaller focus area compared to large. I assume if you start with small it concentrates attention on a specific area but I think the system very quickly identifies an eye no matter what area is initially used. I am awaiting for Olympus Ambassadors to start posting some of their experiences. In general the camera is faster and more responsive, IQ should be noticeably better, I am sure I will get there before too long.

Andreas Liedmann
03-21-2022, 03:20 AM
Hey Jon .. again a new processing tryout with DXO ????
A couple of days ago you were saying that Adobe does not support the OM1 yet ???
Seems like you are not settled which processing route you want to go ??

You know I am sticking with with DPP and C1 for years ... and would not change , never ever !!!! Due to the fact I know DPP and C1 from inside to outside and back .... know the individual shortcomings and advantages of both . I think that is a great bonus and makes processing life easier .... just my take .

Jonathan Ashton
03-21-2022, 05:16 AM
Hey Jon .. again a new processing tryout with DXO ????
A couple of days ago you were saying that Adobe does not support the OM1 yet ???
Seems like you are not settled which processing route you want to go ??

You know I am sticking with with DPP and C1 for years ... and would not change , never ever !!!! Due to the fact I know DPP and C1 from inside to outside and back .... know the individual shortcomings and advantages of both . I think that is a great bonus and makes processing life easier .... just my take .

Andreas, yes Adobe does not support OM-1 (Adobe will open and process but has not yet got the profile listed) and yes DxO does not support OM-1, (not at all - nothing ) these are principal my principal reservations, focus etc I can work on that, it just boils down to familiarity and skill. Once I have DxO and Adobe paired I am sure I will be happy. That is the route I will follow.

Andreas Liedmann
03-21-2022, 07:06 AM
But why pairing DXO and Adobe ???

Kurt Bowman
03-21-2022, 12:02 PM
Agree with the comments ab out the angle and focus point. I do like the calling pose though!

Jonathan Ashton
03-22-2022, 09:37 AM
But why pairing DXO and Adobe ???

Simple it gives the results I want.

Andreas Liedmann
03-22-2022, 01:25 PM
That's a good reason , Jon
I really hope you keep satisfied with the combo and do not feel to change again :w3.