PDA

View Full Version : Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major)

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2022, 02:58 AM
Image captured in the back garden, I hid peanuts for him to search.
This is taken with the new camera body OM System OM-1. It takes a little getting used to, it is incredibly fast 50fps so I have decided to set Procapture as a default so when I press the shutter I get an initial 26 images per occasion. It is possible to load a batch of sequential images in Olympus software and then it sorts them for you in terms of sharp focus, I have slight reservations but it is very effective in whittling down the numbers.

Model Name : OM-1
Focal Length : 420.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 1250
Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
Shutter : 1/800 sec
Aperture : F5.6

Kurt Bowman
03-12-2022, 06:36 AM
Love the pose and such an interesting perch as well. Looks good to my eye, no nits from me. Good work

Steve Kaluski
03-13-2022, 06:27 AM
Hi Jon, I like the overall content and the tree is really cool with the fugi.

Is this FF or a crop? I would like to see it bigger even 1600px. More ISO as the camera can take it now, 1/800 for this kind of subject I think is a wee bit slow.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2022, 08:08 AM
Hi Steve if a crop only minor. Yes I could have raised ISO I was trying to determine a minimum SS to see what I could get away with. Pretty much amazed at the possibilities with this camera....... I obviously need more practice! 28fps 50 fps and 120 fps I find it remarkable, couldn't have dreamt of this 5 years ago!

Steve Kaluski
03-13-2022, 08:24 AM
I trust you have a 512 card inserted, 120fps beats Nikon, as that’s on an 11mb (?) jpeg, so providing you do minimal PP and no crop you are OK, but not sold on the AF from what I’ve seen though.

Has to be a positive move for you though, but it’s pushing that ISO you need to get to grips with. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2022, 04:15 PM
I trust you have a 512 card inserted, 120fps beats Nikon, as that’s on an 11mb (?) jpeg, so providing you do minimal PP and no crop you are OK, but not sold on the AF from what I’ve seen though.

Has to be a positive move for you though, but it’s pushing that ISO you need to get to grips with. :S3:

Oh it is a positive move for me - but it wouldn't be for you. :S3: 28 and 50fps is auto focus on raw files 120 fps is also raw file but is preset focus. Am going to use 28fps for most instances 50fps /120fps for really high action. Noise is better by some margin, but Adobe not up to speed nor DxO and I really do not like the Olympus Workspace for processing but it does have a very useful feature for sorting out the best focus images, I have to confess though I don't know if I trust it completely. I feel there are better quality images to follow I just hope it won't take too long.

Steve Kaluski
03-13-2022, 05:30 PM
I’m too locked in with Canon and a new order on the way, so I’m not moving and the current AF is just so good, too many boxes on the Olympus AF for me. Certainly you have no excuses for not capturing the moment now, especially with Pro Capture and that frame rate, but from what I’ve seen, I still have reservations on going beyond ISO12,800. As I said I hope you have big enough cards and a powerful processing unit.

Enjoy and have fun.

Andreas Liedmann
03-18-2022, 03:13 PM
Hi Jon ... cool bird , nicely captured on this attractive perch .
Will keep my critique simple , as I think you still getting grips on the new body .
Colors looking great , as does the overall tonal and contrast .
Think the image can stand a bit more exposure .... and some more fine sharpening

TFS Andreas