PDA

View Full Version : Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major)

Jonathan Ashton
02-15-2022, 10:15 AM
Just whiling away a little time in the back garden
Olympus : E-M1X
Focal Length : 420.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 4000
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/2500 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Andreas Liedmann
02-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Hi Jon ... unusual horizontal view , but I kinda like it .
Overall all works well with nice tones and overall nice color palette ( personally I would loose the cyan/blue ) , sharpness right on the money and the controlled blacks with good detail are very nice .

Nice work Jon !!

OM 1 preordered ???

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
02-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Thanks Andreas, I haven't pre-ordered because I have not seen the results and DXO/Adobe are probably not up to speed yet so I would not be able to maximise performance. The other thing of course is the initial price is always inflated and it will fall... prices as usual lower in USA v UK/Europe but I probably will get one.

kevin Hice
02-15-2022, 08:52 PM
Overall I like this nice low perspective and the bird has taken a low position. Works well with the crop. Details look fine ,nice and sharp. Not sure about the blues could it be giving some more definition in the blacks? Nice perch and I like the small root standing up in front of the bird. TFS

Sharif Uddin
02-16-2022, 02:53 AM
A very nice image. I like the soft light and smooth background. The bird is sharp and looks well processed. I like the moss covered perch too. It bird seems a little tight on the right IMO. Nonetheless, a really great image!

Paul Burdett
02-16-2022, 03:45 AM
This one works for me Jonathan. A little more space on the right would be nice, but I'm fine as is. I don't know this species in terms of colour, so can't comment on the blues/cyans.

Jonathan Ashton
02-16-2022, 05:11 AM
Thanks very much everyone, I agree a bit tight in the frame, i obviously need the 150-400mm lens!!

Dorian Anderson
02-17-2022, 12:38 AM
Love the direct stare - it's super engaging! Exposure and detail look great, and the mossy perch adds interest. There is a lot of open space above, so I might shift the bird up a touch and trade it for a bit more of the log.

Gabriela Plesea
02-21-2022, 02:56 PM
Very nice image Jon, I quite like the composition and that clean background, subject stands out so nicely.

Lovely pose too. Nice detail and colours, subject is sharp from beak to tail:S3: Agree with Andreas about the blues.

Perch is so nice -I wish you had a tad more at the bottom of the frame.

Very well seen and captured - a pleasure to view!

Warmest regards,