PDA

View Full Version : Snow bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)

Jonathan Ashton
02-09-2022, 03:09 PM
This Snow bunting was foraging on the beach at Hoylake, hand held image

Olympus E-M1X
Focal Length : 600.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 4000
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/1250 sec
Aperture : F8

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
02-09-2022, 04:53 PM
Hi Jon, I quite like the shooting angle here, but the seaweed I find too distracting, very easy to remove. Have you considered cropping to a 16 x 10 and slightly tighter after evicting the seaweed? Nice detail in the legs, but there is nothing in the whites. Is there some cloning/repeat patterns in the sand to the RHS of the beak?

Nice species only seen them in the Cairngorms.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-10-2022, 03:04 AM
Thanks Steve, I did a little tidying up but not too much in the background, the bird was feeding on the seeds in the dried vegetation. If I removed all the vegetation it would be assumed I had fed it which I hadn't. I do have larger in the frame images and I will probably be going back today to get elevated positions. I thought the whites were good but I will bare in mind your reservations in any subsequent posts.

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2022, 03:13 AM
Hey Jon, I think the POV is OK, I don't think you need to go higher???

I did a little tidying up but not too much in the background,

It is visible, old habits unfortunately. :w3

I thought the whites were good but I will bare in mind your reservations in any subsequent posts.

Perhaps the soft white plumage just is so soft it's hard to extract definition????

Good luck on today, hope it's dry and not too windy.

:wave:

Kurt Bowman
02-10-2022, 06:41 PM
I like the catch in the beak! At first I was wishing you got down lower, but seeing the vegetation is maybe why you didn't? I agree with Steve about maybe removing it.

Andreas Liedmann
02-12-2022, 04:28 AM
Hi Jon .. lovely little bird and the catch in beak is a nice addition , adding context .

Nice head turn , overall color and tones are looking ok to me .... but i am looking at a crappy screen , so i would trust the good " old " eyes of steve about the whites .

Removing the natural " distractions " is a matter of taste , i can live with them .

Nice one and TFS Andreas