View Full Version : On Thin Ice

William Dickson
02-08-2022, 04:46 PM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
f/7.1
1/2000
ISO 800

This is one from the back end of last year, I'm sure I posted one similar.....The ice was quite thin at this location but the Swan managed to get across without breaking it....I liked the wee trail of broken ice he left behind....HH from the side of the loch...ACR and PS2022.

Will

Arthur Morris
02-09-2022, 08:29 AM
Super image with a superb image design. Like you, I love the ice trail, and I even like the bushes, probably because of the lovely soft light.

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
02-09-2022, 08:30 AM
ps: you might opt to remove the three darker bits of vegetation in the URC.

a

Steve Kaluski
02-09-2022, 09:33 AM
Hi Will, agree with Artie, lovely/gorgeous light, something we all strive for. Very nicely rendered and exposed, love the water droplets on the chest and the trail of ice behind the feet. I think you just have enough lift on the LH foot (as viewed) to convey the 'waddle'.

And this is just a thought Will, not a 'nit' as folk currently add in these days:

- If you have it, then a sliver more above and a bit more at the foot to 'walk into'
- Again, if you could have kept the body pose, then moving to the left. A, it takes the subject of centre and places it more to the right, B, the water leads you more to the subject

ps: you might opt to remove the three darker bits of vegetation in the URC.

Second vote on evicting the dark blobs.

Well done Will

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-09-2022, 10:38 AM
Very nice indeed Will I like the processing and the composition.

Mike Poole
02-09-2022, 11:46 AM
I like to composition, moving the bird to the left would lose some of the important drops in the ice. Another vote to lose the blobs

Mike

Andreas Liedmann
02-09-2022, 11:47 AM
Hi Will .. looks like he is on a mission or the catwalk :bg3:
Would not change a thing , if this was mine . Processing does look quite good !!!

Nie one , TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
02-09-2022, 02:55 PM
The tracks and the water droplets on the swan are my favorite parts here! Good bit of nice habitat along the top half. quite a fun image here Will!

Kurt Bowman
02-10-2022, 06:38 PM
Love the foot in waling motion. Great job on the specs, no nits from me. Lovely image!

Randy Stout
02-11-2022, 12:14 PM
Will:

A lovely image! The raised foot is great, the composition works for me. Yes, remove the blobs because of the contrast and proximity to the head, bit distracting.

I might tone down the whites at the base of the neck just a bit.

I am more of a trumpeter swan guy than a mute guy, but this is one of the best mute images I have seen (and I have seen a lot of them!)

Randy