PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egret

Joseph Przybyla
02-01-2022, 09:01 AM
I captured this image last February along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. The day was overcast, on and off showers, flat light, no shadows. I have gone back to this image and others several times not being satisfied. I think I finally have it where I want it to be. WDYT? Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm PF, Handheld
1/1600 F5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 1800 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz
Cropped slightly for composition and presentation

Dorian Anderson
02-01-2022, 09:51 AM
I really like the pose, and I think the bird cracks on the steely water. The dangling/dripping feet are great, the fully-thrown wings are great, and raised head sucks us right in. My only issue is that the plumes on the lower part of the neck are starting to look a bit crunchy. Otherwise a really nice image.

Jonathan Ashton
02-01-2022, 11:30 AM
Nice shot Jo, I note your previous reservations over processing, two things occur to me: 1) A little bright/overexposed? 2) A little over-sharpened. I wonder if going back to the raw, reducing highlights and sharpening along with a little more pop would achieve a good result.

Joseph Przybyla
02-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Nice shot Jo, I note your previous reservations over processing, two things occur to me: 1) A little bright/overexposed? 2) A little over-sharpened. I wonder if going back to the raw, reducing highlights and sharpening along with a little more pop would achieve a good result.

Hi Jon, I took you suggestion and went back to the master file with minimal post processing. Here is the file with less. I think the exposure and sharpening are better.

Arthur Morris
02-05-2022, 10:53 AM
Great flight pose. The repost is better but the face does not look real sharp to me.

Here is a fact: it is common to see dark morphs of this species with some white feathers but nobody has ever seen a white morph with any dark feathers. So if you see one of the latter, fire away.

with love, artie