PDA

View Full Version : Another Jacana

Paul Burdett
01-30-2022, 04:43 PM
Here's another Jacana photographed recently. Basic adjustments in ACR and PS.

D500/500PF, 1/5000th sec@f5.6, iso1400 (auto iso), manual mode HH. Cheers.

Dorian Anderson
01-30-2022, 10:18 PM
Looks good, Paul. It's like you did a BG swap with your previous post! Colors are obviously much better here, and the direct sun helped to reveal more detail in the darks than in the other shot. BG is a bit busy but does suggest the bird's swampy habitat. Details look good. I just wish for a bit more head turn.

Paul Burdett
01-30-2022, 11:48 PM
Thanks Dorian. Yes to the "busy" BG (and HA), but the Jacana habitat is large freshwater wetlands, swamps and lakes with abundant floating vegetation, such as water lilies that form a mat on the water surface which it is able to walk on.

Ian McLachlan
01-31-2022, 05:24 AM
Well done Paul. you have the head angle spot on; mind you I notice that nobody on this site demands the same obedience from their ducks !.Actually i think the blue water lilie adds to this varied colour scheme which is exactly what they walk around on on every day of their lives as you said.
I would tone down the whites if poss. as they slightly distract from the beautiful bird a touch.

Paul Burdett
01-31-2022, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much Ian. Good point about the whites...will take another look. Cheers.

Andreas Liedmann
02-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Hi Paul ... lovely overall capture . The water Lilly might be not ideal ... but is there and no real deal breaker . Composition does work ... and the pose is good .
With your fast SS I would have expected a sharper image ... to be honest .
But this might be a larger crop .... and the softness in the fine details might have got lost .

TFS Andreas

Paul Burdett
02-02-2022, 01:04 AM
Thanks Andreas. I'm fine with the Lilly...I especially like its placement in the composition. Yes, a fair crop, but the Jacanas don't get too close.

Arthur Morris
02-05-2022, 01:30 PM
Paul, I am confused. Did you really replace the entire background?

with love, artie

Paul Burdett
02-05-2022, 04:26 PM
Hi Artie. Not sure why that confusion has come up? (Dorian's comment?) This is the scene as shot...definitely not a BG replacement. The Jacanas are quite prevalent at this location, so I have some shots where the they fly over the water (as in previous post) and others where they fly over the water as shown here. The comb-crested Jacana, also known as the lotusbird or lilytrotter, is the only species of Jacana in the genus Irediparra. Like other Jacana species, it is adapted to the floating vegetation of tropical freshwater wetlands.
Do a Google image search and you'll see plenty of similar habitats. Cheers.