PDA

View Full Version : Andean Flicker (Chile)

Dorian Anderson
01-12-2022, 04:03 PM
I photographed this amazing bird about 200 feet from yesterday's Glacier Finch, also at 14,500 feet. It was
the only individual of this species that I saw in my month in the country, so I am stoked with this result.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
1/1000 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
Processed in LR CC with a gentle pass through Topaz for NR. Nothing added or cloned.

Ian McLachlan
01-13-2022, 02:17 AM
Great stuff Dorian.A gem of a bird in a perfect place and BG. I really like this light as it seems to have brought out those beautiful soft colours.a great left foot ! I will go to work on my kingfisher again .

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2022, 02:30 PM
Hi Dorian ... nice clean shot with a superb BG . Great to have some tonal variations in the BG .
I do like the curved " perch " and the " cocked head " of the subject .

Tones looking good , as are the fine details which are showing up nicely . Only thing that bothers me is the WB ... looks a bit " off " on the yellow side . Everything has this yellowish look ...:w3 and colors are not much separated .

Still a nice image though , TFS Andreas

Colin Driscoll
01-13-2022, 07:49 PM
A fine pose and IQ. With the color of the bird, rocks and BG it is almost a sepia image. Maybe dodge the cheek stripe to bring out the red some more.

Volkan Akgul
01-14-2022, 08:19 AM
hi Dorian,

congratulations.

Stu Bowie
01-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Hi Dorian, excellent light and IQ, and love the pose. Good DOF on the Flicker, and nice and sharp. I do like the smooth upper BG. I see you had a fabulous trip in Chile.

Brian Sump
01-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Dorian, very well executed shot. Fantastic perspective gives the feeling of you hanging off of a cliff, love it.

The purity of the image is noted with no cloning. Beautifully sharp across the focal plane. Great HA.

Overall, it felt a bit green and yellow to me. I pulled it into LR and went -5 warmth and +8 tint and seems to really pull out the grays and magenta in the neck. Maybe take a peek and see what you think.

Paul Burdett
01-17-2022, 09:23 PM
No nits from me Dorian. Interesting comments regarding the colour casts (yellow/green). I do see the yellow, but as I'm unfamiliar with this species I can't comment. I'm just wondering if the perception of these colour casts has more to do with each person's (assuming calibrated) monitor than the actual accuracy of the colours in the bird?

Dorian Anderson
01-19-2022, 10:31 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. Getting the WB right on new species in new settings is a challenge, so it's always good to have other eyes double checking. Here's a version incorporating some of the offered suggestions. Cheers!