PDA

View Full Version : Red-bellied Woodpecker

Larry W Brown
01-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Took this shot in the wood behind my house; Gaston County, North Carolina. Late afternoon (~4pm) sun was starting to go down behind some clouds.

Sony A6400, 200-600mm G lens, hand-held

1/500s f/6.3 600mm ISO 3200

Dorian Anderson
01-11-2022, 12:22 AM
Striking view of this bird. I grew up with these in Philly but we don't have them in California. As for the image, the bird is way too tight in the frame. A looser crop would help the subject breath a bit. I'm also not sure how much NR you applied. You needed some at ISO 3200, but the bird feathers look too smooth as presented.

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2022, 07:37 PM
These guys are rare up here, and when one showed up last winter it garnered a lot of attention from the birding community. Nice closeup, but I agree with Dorian's critique. Zooming out would have good here, unless there was stuff outside the current frame that you did not want to include. Still, a nice close up look at it.

Joseph Przybyla
01-14-2022, 08:20 AM
Hi Larry, good looking Red-bellied Woodpecker. The colors on the bird and feather detail look good. I agree with Dorian and Dan that zooming out would have been better. You must have been quite close as the tree/perch is not in focus in front of the bird. Thank you for sharing.