PDA

View Full Version : Motif: Rose

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Here is my attempt at a close-up shot, without a macro lens.

Canon 40D
Canon 28-135mm lens
1/500
F8.0
122mm
ISO 500
auto exposure
no flash

I like a crop which included more of the blossom, but that also shows a blemish on one of the petal's edge. I added a little bit of blue tint to the image to bring out the edges, and brightened it a bit. It looks noisy. And I alternate between liking the softness of the image, to wanting it sharper. Since this might be the best I can get with this lens, I'll say I like the softness. lol

Julie Kenward
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Cheryl, I like the color and composition very much! You've really got a wonderful abstract image here. I am having trouble deciding on sharpness levels though because it's very noisy on my monitor (at work...shhh!) I'd either try a noise reduction program like Neat Image or Noise Ninja (they both offer free downloads) or maybe run a blur over the entire thing to clean it up a bit. The colors are just stunning and this would definitely be worth taking the time to do a little noise reduction.

Gail Spitler
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Agree with Julie's comments. It is a stunning image, terrific composition.
Gail

Lisa Williams
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Cheryl, I really like this one. The colors and tones are excellent.
Hope you don't mind, I ran this through Neat Image in CS2, it took out a lot of the noise, but may have made it to soft?

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
very nice, Lisa! I like your work. When adjusting an image, when do you apply the noise reduction software? At the beginning of the process?

Lisa Williams
07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Cheryl, I've always been told to do noise reduction at the very end right before saving. Maybe an expert here will clarify?
There are a number of good noise reduction software aps out there. I tried a couple and really like Neat Image, though I've heard excellent things about Noise Ninja.

Nonda Surratt
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Cheryl,

This is a really lovely image, love how the swirls lead in. Agree it is certainly one to take some time with!!

Harold Davis
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
love lisa's repost!! very creamy. colors and compo are great. as far as noise reduction, i've been taught two ways. do it first and do it last. thing is, everyone has taught me to do sharpening last, so it must not be the last process!! sorry i couldnt help here.

Alfred Forns
07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I like it a lot and agree with the nose issue Not sure why but keep thinking I would like to go soft on this image to preserve the feel !!! Love the light !!!

Lance Peters
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Beautiful - I agree with AL - I think soft would work best with this one.
Well done :)

Phil Ertel
07-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Cheryl,

One more vote to keep the image soft. Other than that I love the colors, lighting, and placement of the center of the flower.

Regards,

Phil

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks, everyone. i appreciate the comments and suggestions. You have been very helpful.

Gus Cobos
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like your image...the repost is great, taking it over the top...:cool:

Sharna Lee
07-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Cheryl,
This image made me think of spring. My favorite time of the year. The soft warm colors of this flower are out of this world.
I agree with Al about keeping it soft. It's not one of those that you want to sharpen. Lovely image. Noise Ninja is free I think. ;)

Sharna

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I want to download Noise Ninja, but where do I put the file so PS CS will see it and i can use it? Or which forum is appropriate to ask this question?

Katie Rupp
07-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Cheryl, a really lovely image and great repost by Lisa. Sorry I can't help with your Noise Ninja question.