PDA

View Full Version : LEO gets the move on

Jay Ing
12-21-2021, 01:05 AM
Haven't posted here in what seems like 100 years. Hello all. Stay safe and happy holidays.

We've been blessed with a LEO that seems content to show up and give flight inn the golden hours (and beyond). Not like clockwork mind you, but enough to go stand for a few hours. Today met someone who'd flown in from NY for two days just to shoot the girl. Anyhow, got some shots I rather like today. Will process others in the coming days. Fun stuff.

A1 600+1.4 HH
1600/2000/5.6. (in retro should have kicked my SS up a notch and lived with the ISO hit as light was pretty decent)

TFL

John Mack
12-21-2021, 07:25 PM
Great downstroke pose. More room at the bottom and top wouldn't hurt.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2021, 07:30 PM
Gorgeous pose. I am fine with the framing. And I love the hint of snow/hint of trees?/hint of grasses? BKGR. Maybe a bit of Vibrance/Contrast to pop the bird a bit more. Love the peek at the talons. Where?

IAC, there are not many excellent flight shots of this species.

with love, artie

Jack Backs
12-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Nice flight pose. The slight blur on the wing tips doesn't bother me, sharp where it needs to be.

Brian Sump
12-22-2021, 05:54 PM
Jay, nice to see you again! Merry Christmas sir.

So first off, once I get past the envy of you getting to shoot a LEO in flight, then I can objectively critique the image ;-)

So the flight angle and pose work very nicely as does your choice of composition/crop. How much BTW?

Nice detail and critically sharp in the key areas. The main improvement from my end is that, although I believe your white and black points were set properly, it appears there is a lot of room in the lower 1/4 of the histogram to take advantage of; in other words, it feels like it could use a punch in the upper-darks range. You can see a sort of void in the histogram and that translates to a slightly hazy, or maybe better stated, 'thin' appearance in the darker neutral IMO.

A real beauty though, look forward to more!

Jay Ing
12-22-2021, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I'll keep trying to improve my shooting and esp post work. I am investing some time and energy there so hopefully output will be getting better. I think you're right Brian on the darks... I think I didn't pay much attention to the Histo when working the curve. Thanks.

Daniel Cadieux
12-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Great subject to get in flight! Awesome pose, perfect eye. I like the BG too. Yes to more vibrance and contrast but all-in-all this is excellent.

Nice to see you posting again!

Jay Ing
12-23-2021, 11:03 AM
Great subject to get in flight! Awesome pose, perfect eye. I like the BG too. Yes to more vibrance and contrast but all-in-all this is excellent.

Nice to see you posting again!

Thanks, Daniel.

Here's a slight boost in Sat/Con. Better?