View Full Version : Another Red Grouse

William Dickson
12-08-2021, 01:37 PM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2
f/5.6
1/800
ISO 1250

After some crawling in the snow, I got close to this one...Almost full frame.

Will

Kurt Bowman
12-08-2021, 02:07 PM
nice head turn and like the inclusion of the grasses on the left. Nice low angle as well Will!

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Hi Will, well don in getting out there, if I tried to get to mine I would be skating all over the place!!!

Overall I like the framing, albeit have you lifted the image, the subject just appears a bit light/thin??? Having no real detail in the snow works and the wispy grasses are a nice addition, but loose the two grey strands on the vey LHS, just keeps continuity. I do feel the Grouse could do with a little more oomph, irrespective of being in the winter. If the comb had been visible like the previous posting that would have been a nice touch. Body posture and HA works for me, but no chance of the feet in that snow.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
12-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Will it looks really pleasing, a bit of pop and it looks fantastic, love those wispy grasses too!

Andreas Liedmann
12-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Hi Will .... bet it was cold at the time of shooting .
Lovely winter shot of this species , was at first undecided about the head turn ... but think it is working fine .
I do agree about the missing " punch " in the subject , maybe a bit cold as well .... just my take.

The grass is a nice touch

TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
12-09-2021, 06:55 PM
The framing with the grasses is perfect!! Beautiful winter scene. The blacks could go darker for more punch, I agree, and maybe a touch more saturation, but all-in-all this looks great.

Dorian Anderson
12-09-2021, 07:30 PM
Head turn which doesn't intersect grass is both lucky and pleasing. Makes for a more interesting shot than a straight profile (like all my stuff, haha!). I love all the OOF snow; really makes for a dreamy image. Agree you could boost the colors and blacks on the bird for more punch. Really solid frame!

William Dickson
12-11-2021, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.....much appreciated.

Will