PDA

View Full Version : motif: A new kind of bird

Desmond Chan
07-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Does this photo qualify?

D300; 200-400 f4 @ 200mm; aperture priority f4, 1/5000 sec, ISO 400; hand-held. No crop. No flash (too far anyhow :D )

You are welcome to ID the bird :)

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
I like how you think you are going to see a bird, but it makes you look again to see something new. I like the blue in the sky, it really helps to set off the pink colors. But I think I would like a more panoramic style cropping to focus more on the kite. Now, how to keep the blue plus make it more wider with less height. . lol

Julie Kenward
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Good question Cheryl. How about using the move tool in PS to relocate the "bird" to another bluer area and then clone the original out? If you could pull that off, I think the pano idea would be very cool!

Lisa Williams
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Desmond, the bird is a Yellow-tailed Kiterunner! Wish the kite was up higher in the bluer area of the sky.
Agree with Julie, and Cheryl's recommendation.

Nonda Surratt
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Ditto the above recommendations love the 'bird'

Alfred Forns
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Desmond It does qualify but .......................................what does it qualify for:D:D:)

For this one I'm sure about my recommendations ..... if you had any string ... would pull them !!!! :cool:

Desmond Chan
07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Desmond It does qualify but .......................................what does it qualify for:D:D:)

Aahh...that's my submission for...current assignment? The kite was back-lit, just before sunset...the sun was just outside the frame...

I've seen non-bird/non-nature related photo posted here so I thought this one would be ok? Hey, the kite has wings :D:D

The idea behind this shot is very simple. It is based on a very simple and basic composition: a point at the rule-of-third intersection. And the colors.

Anyhow, thanks for looking and the comments !!:):)

Back to the drawing board :o

Anita Rakestraw
07-12-2008, 03:40 AM
I really like this photo, Desmond, just the way you shot it - kind of a minimalist image. The "bird" is great, the sky is fantastic, and altogether I think it makes for a super photo!