PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper

Jack Backs
11-17-2021, 10:25 AM
Taken late last July as Sandpipers had already started migrating south. I'm kind of envious of sandpiper images from the coast....silky smooth sand with ethereal shades of tans and blues. We have mud flats in the Midwest.
This is one of my best imitations. This is from a drainage ditch along side a dirt road. I couldn't lie on the ground as there was a steep incline. I had to use Nikons' right angle view finder attachment. Not their finest effort,
excellent optics but it works loose all the time. I decided to keep the fly.
Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
1/1250s, f7.1, iso 640

Dorian Anderson
11-18-2021, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't have known you weren't laying down because this looks great. The reflection is great, and the drop adds interest. My biggest issue is the sharpness; the entire birds looks a bit crunchy. The detail is there, but I'm wondering how much sharpening you applied. The little bug at right is fun. Bird and reflection are a bit tight in the frame, so I'd consider loosening the crop if you have the space. Could add canvas, but I wouldn't make that effort before sorting out the crunchy issue.

Daniel Cadieux
11-19-2021, 10:36 AM
I agree with Dorian's excellent critique. July is the time for worn adults to come through, as seen here...did you get the chance to get some fresh juvies in mid/late August as well?

Arthur Morris
11-19-2021, 03:07 PM
Nice bug. But the bug is sharper than the bird :(. For me, it is a bit too big in the frame.
with love, artie