PDA

View Full Version : Osprey and rocks

Paul Burdett
11-14-2021, 08:37 PM
I spent three afternoons at Point Arkwright (around 90km north of from Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast) photographing Ospreys and Brahminy Kites as well Wrens and Honeyeaters. Here's one that I like. Overcast conditions and intermittent rain on the third afternoon, but great fun. Would have liked a better HA.

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f5.5, iso1600. Basic adjustments in acr and ps. Some selective NR/sharpening. Cheers.

arash_hazeghi
11-15-2021, 02:07 AM
Hi Paul, this one isn't working for me, BG is distracting and the wing position is not there...head looks funny for some reason

TFS

Paul Burdett
11-15-2021, 04:10 AM
Hi Arash. Appreciate the feedback. Funny...I really like the BG here...part of the environment...I have too many Osprey shots with clear blue skies. I also like the wing position. Will look at the raw again...the head looks ok on my calibrated monitor.

Steve Kaluski
11-15-2021, 11:35 AM
Hi Paul, the image appears under exposed to me and also I would say there is some colour noise, especially in the dark wing, eye looks to be 'recovered/lightened', is this a big crop? In addition I just wished the vertical line of the rock behind wasn't running through the head.

TFS
Steve

Volkan Akgul
11-15-2021, 12:59 PM
hi Paul,

If it were me, I'd lie there and fight to finish this bird :) good luck.

Paul Burdett
11-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Hi Steve. Thank you for the feedback. I'll take another look at the raw and re process. With Ospreys I'm always trying to expose in such a way as not to clip the whites on the head. Yes, it's a crop, so IQ has suffered I guess. This Osprey was rising quickly from the water before turning left, so this was the best of the burst of images...I'm fine with the vertical line through the head...never thought about it when I viewed the image, but can see your point now. Cheers.
Volkan: Thank you, but I'm unsure what you mean here?

Dorian Anderson
11-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Background is just far enough from the bird that I think you can get away with it. It's not perfect, but it's something different (as you said). My bigger issue is the wing position; farther up or farther down would be more striking. I think the exposure on the bird looks pretty good (maybe slightly under as Steve suggested), and the captured some nice details in the feathers and feet. Bit more head turn would help the subject connect better.

Paul Burdett
11-16-2021, 07:09 PM
Agree with you on all points Dorian, but I do like the wing positions however.

Volkan Akgul
11-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Sorry Paul,

translate :/ good photo. good bird :)

Arthur Morris
11-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Agree with the esteemed Arash. This is not your best. The WHIITEs looks funky and grey. The wing position sucks (sorry). The bird's head is angled away from us. And the dark shadow in the rocks behind the bird drags the viewer's eye ...

with love, a

Arthur Morris
11-19-2021, 03:44 PM
The I is where the eyedropper was. Note the BLUE cast in the RGB values.

with love artie

Paul Burdett
11-19-2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks Artie...Your feedback is noted. However, I do disagree re the wing position, but only 100%:bg3:

Paul Burdett
11-19-2021, 04:32 PM
Thank you Volkan.

Arthur Morris
11-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Thanks Artie...Your feedback is noted. However, I do disagree re the wing position, but only 100%:bg3:

Hey Paul,

When and if we meet remind me to stick my hand right in your face :)

with love, artie

ps: perhaps you will learn to hate that wing position some day ...

Paul Burdett
11-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Hi Artie. Would love to meet you one day...I know I'd learn a lot from you (or are you too old to make the trip down under:bg3:) So, it would seem that the best wing positions (according to many people) are with wings either fully up or down. However, even if that is true, I still don't feel the position of the Osprey's wings totally "suck"...just maybe not "textbook" ideal. (actually this position reminds me somewhat of the trident aircraft tail wing position) anyhow, here's another frame from the same burst of images...this time with the wings fully down. I know it suffers from the other issues mentioned, but I guess you like the wing position better? (and yes, the head should be clear of the wings). Stay safe.

Paul

ps: Putting your hand in my face could be detrimental to your health...I'd have to bite your shutter finger off:t3