PDA

View Full Version : Butter-and-eggs

Ed Vatza
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
aka Yellow Toadflax. Too bad there is a dying petal on one of the flowers.

Conditions - just before dark; heavily shaded

Canon 30D; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS with Canon 500D Close-up lens; 580 EX II Flash with StoFen OmniBounce Diffuser all tripod mounted.

1/13 sec at f/16; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -1; Focal length 140mm.

John Cooper
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
They do look a bit like fried eggs Ed :)
A very nice spray effectively placed on the diagonal. The BG being dark green and not black works OK for me here. Yes pity about the center flower being passed its prime but shows they are real and not fake ;)

Julie Kenward
07-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Beautifully done, Ed. Your whites are downright perfect and you can't even tell you used a flash. Fabulous.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Ed, it is such a beautiful looking flower. Only after reading Julie's comments, I went back to check the EXIF u've written - flash used - but one can never notice it from the exposure & colours rendered. Very well done indeed.
Do u have any frames with close-up of single flower...?

Gus Cobos
07-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Very nice composition and image Ed.
I like the downward diagonal position of the flowers; and the dark green background makes it pop. You display good details and the whites are in check...congrats...:cool:

Ed Vatza
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
John, Julie, Kaushik, Gus,

Thanks you all for the critiques. Appreciate the feedback and I am glad to see that you like the image. The stems on this particular plant were very weak and the flowers just hung over other flower stems. So I had to do a bit of "posing" in order to provide some support but still have the flowers exposed without other clutter in the fore or background. I thought it turned out well despite the dying petal. And the flowers are so cool. :cool: