PDA

View Full Version : Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

Jonathan Ashton
10-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Another shot from the back garden, taken from my hide.
Olympus E-M1X
Focal Length : 300.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 400
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter : 1/2000 sec
Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Brian Sump
10-27-2021, 11:22 PM
Jon, really cool action.

I am thinking motion blur on the head, but then again the leaves in the fg are super sharp in comparison with the body plumage so I am almost thinking it is a focus plane issue - maybe it grabbed the leaves?

Either way, unfortunately for me this one barely misses and would not be one I'd process personally. The colors and the rest are all really nice.

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2021, 04:49 AM
Brian, I was at first surprised, I went back to the raw file and I agree entirely with your observation, the head is not pin sharp. I think I will have to curb my enthusiasm and recheck future submissions!
I appreciate your pointing this out, thank you.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2021, 05:15 AM
Bummer on the unsharp head. Maybe try Topaz Sharpen AI. A shame, because everything else is superb: the flying acorn, the bird, the image design, and even the leaves.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Bummer on the unsharp head. Maybe try Topaz Sharpen AI. A shame, because everything else is superb: the flying acorn, the bird, the image design, and even the leaves.

with love, artie

Thanks Artie, I'll have a look, I have plenty more - I just hope some are up to snuff! Joking apart I am going to arrange for an eye test too!

Andreas Liedmann
10-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Hi Jon lovely action shot .
Nie warm fall colors ... the kit has missed just the bird on the focus front , the leafs in front does appear sharper .
Just use a " edge mask" to see where it is sharp .... visible even without the eye test :w3

Just bin it .... not even worth to try the " magic " Topaz software , cannot create wonders .... :t3

TFS Andreas