View Full Version : Raven

William Dickson
10-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
f/8
1/400
ISO 2000

Whilst out looking for Red Grouse, I came across the Raven...I was surprised I got close enough for a few shots, as these birds are usually very wary....After giving me this pose he/she flew.... away from me, over the edge....ACR, Topaz DN and PS2021

Will

Jonathan Ashton
10-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Super shot Will, I really like the composition. I like it as presented I think it looks very natural with slightly muted colours.
Just for fun I downloaded and tried alternatives with 4 to 6 extra points of saturation and other versions with curves.

John Mack
10-05-2021, 06:42 PM
I like the setting here. Images like this are peaceful to me. I enjoyed viewing.

Daniel Cadieux
10-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Really nice overall and a great setting you found this raven in. Glad it stuck around for a few images for you! For sure I'd fill in the top right corner, or tone it down if you want to keep the mountain slope there.

Dorian Anderson
10-07-2021, 09:18 AM
Nice setting. Layered feathers look good. I second filling in the slice at top right.

William Dickson
10-07-2021, 02:00 PM
That's guys....I'll have a look at your suggestions Jon....

Will

Steve Kaluski
10-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Hi Will, I like this a lot, agree on patching the corner, such a quick and easy fix, but adding a ND Filter, either 0.3, or 0.6 just to pull the sky down might just add a bit of atmosphere????? I just find Ravens are a little on the ‘dark side’ (sinister), nothing to do with exposure.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Hi Will ... cool image of the Raven .
I do like the wide view of its range of living with the nice view over his shoulder .
Comp does look good , I am ok with the ULC ....but understand that some might alter it somewhat .
The LLC does look a bit " fancy" in it structure ?? What happened there ?

TFS Andreas

William Dickson
10-08-2021, 01:43 PM
Hi Will, I like this a lot, agree on patching the corner, such a quick and easy fix, but adding a ND Filter, either 0.3, or 0.6 just to pull the sky down might just add a bit of atmosphere????? I just find Ravens are a little on the ‘dark side’ (sinister), nothing to do with exposure.

TFS
Steve

Thanks for that Steve.....yes I'm like you.....find them a little sinister.....

Will

William Dickson
10-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Hi Will ... cool image of the Raven .
I do like the wide view of its range of living with the nice view over his shoulder .
Comp does look good , I am ok with the ULC ....but understand that some might alter it somewhat .
The LLC does look a bit " fancy" in it structure ?? What happened there ?

TFS Andreas

Thanks Andreas...much appreciated.....I stretched the lower canvas slightly using the crop tool...prob that's what you will see.....I usually 'clean up' after the stretch ...but missed that wee bit.....:w3

Will

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Wrong tool for the job Will!

William Dickson
10-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Wrong tool for the job Will!

Sometimes it works for me Steve...but yes I have to clean up....another way I do it is select with the rectangular tool then stretch .....sometimes this is better.....

Brian Sump
10-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Will, just a super composition of an ignored bird.

Nice and crisp in detail without having to come in really tight, and the field grass juxtaposed with the rocks creates very nice balance.

I could see a version with a little vibrance boost and maybe evicting the URC, but man not much to nit from me. Nicely shown!

William Dickson
10-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Thanks Brian....I thought it was something 'different' from me ....Glad you liked it.

Will