PDA

View Full Version : Grouse

Mike Poole
09-27-2021, 01:19 PM

Hardly touched the camera in ages for various reason, but hopefully this will change now. This was from the first outing tis summer a couple of days ago on the moors. The grouse were very skittish that day - probably something to do with grouse shooting season (!) but for whatever reason this was was either particularly brave - or dumb! Sat nicely for about 5 minutes for me and had me backing up to keep the framing nice

Canon R5
600mm f4
ISO 1600
1/400th f5 in crazy light changing conditions!

Mike

Arthur Morris
09-27-2021, 01:34 PM
Lovely bird, lovely flowers, and a pleasing low perspective.

with love, a

Brian Sump
09-27-2021, 04:49 PM
Mike, a real gem man. Just about right in terms of the composition for me and the way the landscape frames the subject.

The white blossoms add a lot and I like the touch of magenta. From my view, the tones and processing of the subject look pretty spot on, well done!

I do feel like you could supercharge the frame a bit by enhancing the tones and colors in the bkg a bit, and even the fg too.

Is this the same species as Will posts with the red crests? In other words, is this a male or female and are they discernible on this species?

Mike Poole
09-27-2021, 05:27 PM
Mike, a real gem man. Just about right in terms of the composition for me and the way the landscape frames the subject.

The white blossoms add a lot and I like the touch of magenta. From my view, the tones and processing of the subject look pretty spot on, well done!

I do feel like you could supercharge the frame a bit by enhancing the tones and colors in the bkg a bit, and even the fg too.

Is this the same species as Will posts with the red crests? In other words, is this a male or female and are they discernible on this species?

Hi Brian, cheers for the comments.

This is the same species that Wiil often posts. The males and females look different, then females are a duller colour and don't have the red 'comb' above the eye. The comb becomes more prominent during the breeding season - of which we're out of now - and juveniles don't have the comb at all. My guess would be this is a juvenile bird by the way it lacked concern about me being around.

The blossoms are heather, and I timed it a week or 2 late probably, during which time they are a lovely pink and purple colour.

cheers

Mike

Kurt Bowman
09-27-2021, 06:56 PM
I really like this frame Mike. Very pleasing image all around. Love the bird and the BG and FG all the same. Nothing I can really nit pick at from my point of view. Nice work!

Daniel Cadieux
09-28-2021, 06:44 AM
Beautiful habitat, and nice separation from the BG. Subject is well placed in the frame. I could go for a bump in saturation, but certainly looks good as presented as well.

William Dickson
09-28-2021, 02:32 PM
Good to see you posting again Mike....All looks good to me concerning the image....Good crop, nice detail and a lovely pose....colours on the bird look spot on...Hope you are enjoying your new camera, and looking forward to more.

Will

John Mack
09-28-2021, 04:43 PM
A calming image. Love the clean feel and look. Hope you get to shoot some more. Have fun out there.

gail bisson
10-01-2021, 05:08 AM
This is a topnotch frame Mike!
I love the flowers in the FG and the way they create a nice curve. Perfect BG.
Love the colors but think you could boost saturation or the midtones a little bit.
Well done!
Gail