PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly feeding

Dan Brown
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
This Damselfly species is feeding on a midge species. Capture made with a tripod mounted D200, manaul exp. mode, MF 200mm f4 Micro Nikkor, TC14B, 1/160sec, f11, ISO 400, fill flash with SB800, -3.0, Better Beamer (which produced the square eye highlight:eek:). Cropped and PP in CS3, noise reduced with Noise Ninja.

Dan Brown

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Feeding behaviour nicely captured. Eyes & legs look sharp. Lovely BG to go with. The light reflected off the body of the DF look harsh - could tone it down a bit I feel.

Dan Brown
07-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for looking Kaushik. The repost is an attempt to tone down the image. I created a dupe layer, applied a Shadow/highlight filter heavily and then reduced the opacity by about 50%. Dan Brown

Sharna Lee
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Dan,
I love the repost. The colors are awesome.
I wish the rest of the df was not cut off but it may have taken away from the action on the mouth.

Good job.

Sharna

Gus Cobos
07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Dan,
The repost looks darker, it fixed one problem, but brought about another. Try toning down just the dragonfly not the entire image. Also I would try getting the whole subject in frame. The tail and wing portion is sliced...ouch...:eek:

Dan Brown
07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Gus, here's a repost with the BG brightened. As for the rest of the DF, this is pretty much full frame and the moment was fleeting, I only got two shots befor the midge got away! But even if I had more time, I think that I wouldn't have backed off as I really wanted to feature the "action" up close. I wish that the abdomen and wing part were in focus however.

Dan Brown