PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret portrait

Kurt Bowman
09-14-2021, 06:37 AM
Not sure this was close enough for a theme image, so left theme off the title. another image from my recent outing at the Gilbert Water Ranch. I was shooting this Snowy bouncing around and he finally stopped for a couple seconds so I could fire off this portrait. Was shooing in Av mode with highlight priority so when I focused close on thew whites my SS increased to where it was if you are wondering why I was at 12800.

A1, 200-600mm with 1.4 TC
1/12800 at f/9
ISO 1600
EC -1

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2021, 11:19 AM
Egret looks good, I feel taming the highlights would reveal more. The background, some reservation, - nice colours good contrast with subject but is it carrying colour noise????
Sorry just noticed high ISO - probably due to that.

Daniel Cadieux
09-14-2021, 01:13 PM
I love the perfect vertical comp, shaggy hairdo, light quality. 1600 is not a high ISO, even for my 7DII, so that is surely not the reason for the noisy / pixelated BG.

Arthur Morris
09-14-2021, 01:43 PM
The bird looks just fine. Do you use DeNoise?

with love, artie

Kurt Bowman
09-14-2021, 02:33 PM
The bird looks just fine. Do you use DeNoise?

with love, artie

yes and I used it on this image. I just used the auto

Brian Sump
09-14-2021, 03:53 PM
Kurt, this is a sweet portrait! Love the eye contact and details in the head plumage.

The rainbow gradient effect in the bkg is great and love the sharpness to the bill tip.

FWIW, I would not have said anything about the bkg. I've posted images with a lot worse.

John Mack
09-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Bang on portrait here. The white bird and that dark green go great together.

Jay Ing
09-15-2021, 07:39 PM
This is beautiful. Full stop - period.

Andreas Liedmann
09-16-2021, 09:44 AM
Hi Kurt ... very nice portrait you captured .
Love the tonal / color contrast between the subject and the BG ... well seen .
Processing looks quite good to me , you have fine details rendered and the sharpening is right on the money .
I am just a bit puzzled about the structure in the BG ... looks like mid frequency noise ??!!! Or is it the " typical Topaz Denoise effect " ???!!

I just tried to coax out some more detail from the whites .... it works , well worth the effort IMHO . But you need to know how channel blending works !!!

TFS Andreas