PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Sunbird

Chris van Rooyen
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
The sunbirds are the African equivalent of the hummingbirds. They feed on a combination of nectar and insects, and are often spectacularly coloured. They are larger than hummingbirds, and generally do not hover much, only sometimes for a few seconds before settling on the plant to feed. The Malachite Sunbird is one of the larger species, with a spectacular iridescent green-blue plumage. I photographed this bird at a set-up with proteas in a garden in the Drakensberg.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Date/Time: 2006:10:21 09:59:55
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 500mm

Axel Hildebrandt
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Pretty bird, details and BG. I might sharpen a bit less and wish for a bit more head turn toward you and might go for a slightly wider crop.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
You are very right about the look of this bird, it resembles a giant hummingbird. I agree about the head turn and sharpness.

Doug Brown
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm with Axel on this one Chris. Very nice photo!

Marc Mol
07-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Stunning image in beautiful light!
Have been to RSA a few times now, and have never seen one, or perhaps just didn't look well enough.
Well done Chris ;)

Cheers
Marc

Glenn Bartley
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Just stunning. Your work is so good Chris! I wish for a bit more space all around on this one.

Phil Liew
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
The iridescence of the green feathers is really amazing. We too do not have humming birds in Malaysia but sun birds rather. The lighting is just right to bring the sheen out. The crop could do with more space to the right but perhaps it's already at the edge.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2008, 07:15 AM
You've pulled off a difficult one, Chris. Like the image a lot. Wish for little more space in front of the bird. The light on the tips of the flower petals look a bit harsh (you can perhaps bring it down + lower the contrast).
TFS.

Ken Watkins
07-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I can say from personal experience this is a very difficult bird to photograph. The irridsecence of the feathers is most of the time completely overwhelming, changing from blue to green seemingly at will. Well done Chris, when the sun comes back in the Cape I'll be out in the garden to try my luck again.

Chris van Rooyen
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks guys, point taken about the crop, unfortunately I did not have anything to crop:o As far as the oversharpening is concerned, I think it might be a result of the iridescent feathers, but I will have a another look..:)