PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover

Dorian Anderson
08-21-2021, 09:37 AM
Snowies are one of the most run-of-the-mill shorebirds around, so it takes a bit of creativity to produce a decent frame of them, a challenge increased by the fact
the birds spend all their time hunkered in footprints and divots on the driest stretches of beaches. The background here was supplied by the sun as it set through
thick, forest fire smoke which had blown out over the Pacific. I like this shot because it shows their trademark hunker with what I think is an attractive aesthetic twist.

Canon 100-400mm f/4 IS II on EOS 7D2
1/2000 at f/5.6, ISO 800
Processed in LR CC. Nothing added or cloned.

Cheers!

Bill Dix
08-21-2021, 04:23 PM
A lovely shot, Dorian. The forest fires have given it a handsome but unfortunate backdrop. My limited experience with these guys on Pacific beaches is much as you have captured here, hunkered down in depressions in the sand. They can be tough to spot until you see one running across the sand. Easier on the mud flats of the Florida gulf coast.

John Mack
08-21-2021, 04:57 PM
Nice how the plover looks "tucked in" so to say. The background colors are great though. Nice job on the framing.

arash_hazeghi
08-22-2021, 12:14 AM
nice one Dorian. love the warm early AM tones, I like the depth effect also.

TFS

Steve Kaluski
08-22-2021, 01:44 AM
Looked at this several times Dorian, I too like it, perhaps more off the top going more 'pillbox' in format. Tweaking the whites and slightly cooler on the WB I think renders the subject a little more and there is more detail to be extracted from the head. Ditto the eye, there is more life to bring out and not via Shadow & Highlight it's too aggressive at times.

TFS
Steve

Brian Sump
08-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Dorian, a real gem. The peek a boo effect makes this strong and the gorgeous colors bring it up.

I love the layered mounds of beach gravel. I could see one in a pano crop as well.

Thanks for the fun view!

Andreas Liedmann
08-25-2021, 02:13 AM
Hi Dorian sadly this is not working for me .... " too busy" in FG and BG to make this work .
For a great effect I think the subject should stand out .... which is not the fact in this case , IMHO .

TFS Andreas