PDA

View Full Version : Sparrowhawk (f)

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2021, 07:17 AM
There was a lot of noise in the back garden, a Sparrowhawk was being mobbed by seven magpies. Purely by chance when I was patrolling the garden looking for insects I heard muffled squeaks and squawks in the most distant corner of the garden. I approached as stealthily as possible trying to remain concealed by plants and shrubs. Sure enough the Sparrowhawk was in the process of dispatching a Magpie. I carefully returned to the house to get my camera and I did manage to get some shots but there was far too much foliage around. later on that evening as I suspected the Sparrowhawk was dining again but this time she had moved her prey, the view was better but still far from ideal. I got the camera and sneaked behind the pizza oven but no good, I crawled on my belly to the log store and peered round, I was at ground level hiding my face with the camera, the bird was in and out of the hedge just at the edge of my mini meadow. Here is one of the hand held images.
An opportunity returned the next day though the light was lower again.......

Olympus E-M1X
Focal Length : 300.0mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 1000
Exposure compensation : -1.0 EV
Shutter : 1/250 sec
Aperture : F4
Flash : OFF

ACR/PSCC

Brian Sump
08-18-2021, 10:55 AM
Jon, really great story. Great field work getting this shot!

Action is awesome. From the images I've seen from across the pond, I wish we had this species (although we have some similar).

The environment really frames the subject nicely. The grasses in fg are nice and really like the [Holly?] around the head. Sharpness is evident and like the eye contact.

I would assert that the image could benefit from a boost in brightness. Because you have a very small amount of whites in the light, for which you exposed, everything else appears dark to my eye. Accordingly, I think there is some room to take advantage of the upper quarter of the histogram and you are talented enough to keep those brights in check as you boost the rest. Take a look and see what you think.

A great frame Jon!

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2021, 11:29 AM
Brian, I note your observations regarding exposure, I have indeed made images with differing exposures - I will post later, but there is little of interest in the holly/hawthorn hedge, also the highlights in the holly become more pronounced.. plenty more!!

John Mack
08-18-2021, 11:44 AM
Bet you were happy to have this oppurtunity. I woudl be. The framing is nice with the holly bush. You've captured a nice pose. Nice to see the prey.

Steve Kaluski
08-19-2021, 05:25 AM
Hi Jon, you patience paid off, ours came down Monday PM and took a Greenfinch, but not back since. Surprised it tolerated your moving around ours are very skittish and would bolt at the sign of any slight movement. The light looks dark being low and shrouded by the holly bush and the subject coarse in the face, and we've been round the houses on SS & ISO, but.... I do feel there is a 'redness' in the colours and although my SH was more outside in the open, I think you may have pushed things on the carcass which globally has affected the plumage etc.

Now, whopper has been completely rebuilt, formatted and upgraded and I'm away so not in a 'controlled' room so I reserve judgement...

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
08-21-2021, 03:20 PM
Awesome capture Jon, you must be so happy with this frame!

Love the behavioural aspect here as well as scene overall. Good placement of the subject within the frame, pose is great, nice and sharp where it matters.
Cannot comment on the colours of the Sparrowhawk as I am not familiar with the species... but I do like the vibrant greens of the vegetation.
Would love to have this in my folders:w3

Warmest regards,