PDA

View Full Version : Double-crested Cormorant.

Daniel Cadieux
08-17-2021, 03:51 PM
These guys don't usually allow close approach over here, so I was more than happy to lie in the mud for intimate images of this unusually cooperative individual.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural ight, handheld, small crop to help the comp, reduced a nasty blue cast via color balance. The water and BG were so clean that no pesky specks or other types of highlights were needed to be remove in post (!)

Brian Sump
08-17-2021, 05:12 PM
Cormorants are underrated IMO Daniel. Such beauty in the eye and beak.

Very soothing frame. Nice detail in the plumage and love the colorful canvas.

Low angle is awesome. Sometimes it's a drag when we have to cut the frame mid way down the neck in the reflection but overall a really strong composition.

Nicely seen, thank you.

Paul Burdett
08-17-2021, 09:33 PM
Love it! Plenty of Cormorants here in Brissy. Love the pose, BG, colours and overall composition. Another couple of degrees of head turn towards us maybe?

Randy Stout
08-18-2021, 06:09 AM
Daniel:

Your usual great point of view. Having witnessed you crawling around in the mud and sand personally, I am not suprised.

Remarkably clean image, colorful, I like the pose, framing with head aimed along the diagonal. You captured their signature eye and bill well.

I might consider softening the neck reflection as it leaves the frame a bit. Subtle clone stamp might work well.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
08-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Love that green water melting into the background. Nice pose on the cormorant. It seems every year we get more and more show up at my local lake. But like yours they don't really allow any close approach.

arash_hazeghi
08-18-2021, 10:11 PM
A common bird but executed perfectly with great low angle POV and further taken to the top by the glass-like calm water and soft tones

TFS

Dorian Anderson
08-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Kller low angle. I'm such a sucker for these sorts of frames as they can make even the most common bird crack! Perfectly executed.

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2021, 09:45 AM
Hi Daniel .... a very cool shot , just because of the very nice shooting angle .
Subject stands out so nice , popping of the the FG / BG .
Well done .... TFS Andreas