PDA

View Full Version : Tightrope

Brian Sump
08-12-2021, 11:53 AM

While wrapping up a shoot one June morning, we saw a Common Yellowthroat putzing around. Played a little audio and he positioned himself here as a tightrope walker on the reeds.

I wished I'd have stopped down the aperture a touch for more dof as it's a bit unfortunate the reeds bent at the ends.... more tail IF is always good too.

Feedback welcome.

R5
840mm
Handheld
ISO 1250
1/4000
f7.1

LR and PS, selective DN. Removed barbed wire going down through lower LHC and touched a couple of brighter spots on one talon.

William Dickson
08-12-2021, 12:45 PM
Looks good to me Brian, I don't mind the DOF, the eye is immediately drawn to the bird....Nice pose, open bill adds...Lovely colours and detail...I really like the BG colours, and they blend well. I wonder if cloning out the oof tips on the perch would make a difference, then cropping in some more...Just a thought....I don't mind the oof perch on the bottom left, it works well with the BG colour.... fades into the BG which looks good.

Will

Gabriela Plesea
08-12-2021, 02:03 PM
I personally like it Brian, lovely image design, nice pose from the bird, good head angle and background is great.
Yes to more DoF but not a deal breaker, still works as presented. Overall a very pleasing image and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,

kevin Hice
08-12-2021, 03:52 PM
Brian nice lovely capture. Would have been nice if the reed would have been in focus out to the split ends. Probably wouldn't have caught all the ends with more DOF. As Will says other end blends nicely. Fine as is. As mentioned open beak and great pose lovely background colors. Always look forward to your photos. TFS

John Mack
08-12-2021, 04:58 PM
Nice to see this warbler out in the open. I do like the framing and the soft gradient in the background.

Joseph Przybyla
08-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Hi Brian, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Sharp, nice color palette, perfect background. Whether you could get more depth of field by changing your aperture would depend on how close you were to the bird, when close it really doesn't change much. Thank you for sharing.

Arthur Morris
08-12-2021, 08:35 PM
Wicked bird with perfect light on the face. I like the idea of a higher crop left and right to eliminate the end of the perch.

with love, a

Brian Sump
08-13-2021, 11:53 AM
Looks good to me Brian, I don't mind the DOF, the eye is immediately drawn to the bird....Nice pose, open bill adds...Lovely colours and detail...I really like the BG colours, and they blend well. I wonder if cloning out the oof tips on the perch would make a difference, then cropping in some more...Just a thought....I don't mind the oof perch on the bottom left, it works well with the BG colour.... fades into the BG which looks good.

Will

Right on Will! I see your point on the oof tips; a good option to try, going from pano to 2x3.

I personally like it Brian, lovely image design, nice pose from the bird, good head angle and background is great.
Yes to more DoF but not a deal breaker, still works as presented. Overall a very pleasing image and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,

Thanks a bunch Gabriela!

Brian nice lovely capture. Would have been nice if the reed would have been in focus out to the split ends. Probably wouldn't have caught all the ends with more DOF. As Will says other end blends nicely. Fine as is. As mentioned open beak and great pose lovely background colors. Always look forward to your photos. TFS

Very much appreciate the kind words Kevin! Back at ya.

Nice to see this warbler out in the open. I do like the framing and the soft gradient in the background.

Thanks John!

Hi Brian, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Sharp, nice color palette, perfect background. Whether you could get more depth of field by changing your aperture would depend on how close you were to the bird, when close it really doesn't change much. Thank you for sharing.

Appreciate the comments Joe. Good point on the dof. Had some crop here so it might have been at the threshold where a stop or two could have impact.

Wicked bird with perfect light on the face. I like the idea of a higher crop left and right to eliminate the end of the perch.

with love, a

Thanks Artie, appreciate the feedback!

Bill Dix
08-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Great singing pose. I can hear him now - wichity wichity wichity. Not sure stopping down would have brought the ends in focus.

dankearl
08-14-2021, 03:35 PM
Very nice to get him out in the open.... Bird looks terrific.